Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VII

Since we have a majority of the admins in agreement, I've updated the page. The list now goes up to ten.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

...desperately resisting potential Spinal Tap joke...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh, go ahead. We need something to laugh about. (Besides, I phrased my comment that way for that very reason.)
--
Rob Kelk

I am successfully resisting because nothing really good comes to mind. Not a day for me to be funny.
-- Bob
---------
Time to put on my mod hat
Ordinairily, I try to be as hands off and laid back as possible. However, I've been getting disturbing warning signs our Donald Trump page is going to lead to the same idiocy that plagues TV Tropes' pages on politicians if I didn't do something.

So I added this template:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Template:Contested

Short version, there is no way in hell I want us to follow the face palm worthy tradition TV Tropes has of angry manchildren with political chips on their shoulder editing in whitewashing and/or butthurt on our politician pages, and I made that template so anyone tempted to edit war can instead confine their disputes to the talk page, as I really don't want to wield the mighty banhammer to keep that madness from infecting our wiki too.

Besides, the Kiwi Farms already has a thread for laughing at stupid edit wars on TV Tropes, and I do not want to give them reason to consider us little better.

Good idea, Geth. I saw the edits that were there as of early last evening, and was wondering what to do about it myself. Glad to see you're a bit more decisive than I was.
-- Bob
---------

For much the same reasons, I've just semi-protected the page indefinitely. If people want to continue the edit wars, they'll have to identify themselves first. It won't stop the edit war - everyone who had taken part was already logged in - but it'll stop drive-by changes.
--
Rob Kelk

On a related note, no one take this seriously, I'm in on the joke:

http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... id=1438770

Well, okay....

It does raise a good point... we probably don't want our staff policy to be open to random additions that we find ourselves inextricably bound to, since it is an unbreakable magical contract... But I see that you've semiprotected the page already.
-- Bob
---------

There's something wrong with the new forums. I just put a couple messages up today, and when I went back to this one in "Long Term-Perpetual Projects" to modify it slightly, well, click the link and see. It's just not there. And if you go up to the forum index itself, it doesn't appear at all.

-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:There's something wrong with the new forums. I just put a couple messages up today, and when I went back to this one in "Long Term-Perpetual Projects" to modify it slightly, well, click the link and see. It's just not there. And if you go up to the forum index itself, it doesn't appear at all.

You may have to delete that post and make another one. We had all the old database tables ported over from the last time we had this extension, and you may need to flush that post and make another to flush any old database remnants, while will cause those sorts of issues, though it shouldn't happen more than once per subforum.

Okay, done.
-- Bob
---------

I don't see the posts in the forums at all - clicking on a topic takes me to a blank page.

Running the most recent version of Firefox, with AdBlock Plus and no Flash.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I don't see the posts in the forums at all - clicking on a topic takes me to a blank page.

Running the most recent version of Firefox, with AdBlock Plus and no Flash.

I think we might be better off sticking with our current forums. I'd still ask the Miraheze guys to keep the database tables around in case we ever decided to give them another go, but I'm coming to be of the opinion they are still too rough around the edges for everyday use at present, at least for our purposes.

If no one objects, I'll ask they be disabled and we'll stick with our Flow-based forums.

No objection here.
-- Bob
---------

In some weird way, I think I wouldn't mind seeing Donald Trump be a featured page.  It's not a bad creator page, really.
In other news, I've been working on a way to improve our category pages.  And, in the process, eliminate our laconic pages.  I've got a working prototype of a Mediawiki extension to add a tag to pages.  Now, on a normal page nothing much happens with text in a laconic tag, but it does disappear if it's in a tag (or , you know...).  However, the wikitext is saved to put onto the category page, right after the link to each member of the category.  So now we can have index pages that look like they're maintained like TVT pages, but they're actually automatically generated.
So, how do people feel about getting rid of the Laconic subpages, and folding them into the trope/work page?  I think we could probably keep the Laconic button, but clicking it (hovering it?) would just make a popup with the content.  It should be pretty easy to expose it to an API query.  (In fact I think it's already exposed via the pageprops API, but only as half-parsed wikitext...)  Or maybe {{trope}} preloads it?  If there's a element on the page, do we want to display it anywhere as part of the page content (floating box? on the header?)?  Should we call something more boring like or ?
Right now I'm really looking for what people think would be the best way to use page summaries.
Also before you say "Why not just use the new tags on Laconic subpages instead of the main article page?" I just want to say sorry because that's like 10x harder to implement than what I did so I'm not doing that.  Also pages that have one sentence of content are super-boring and not a good way to browse the wiki.
-- ∇×V

I don't mind either way. I fully expect that some folks will particularly moan the change to this page, though.
--
Rob Kelk

I like this, Brent. Keep calling it "laconic" for backwards compatibility and add "summary", "description" or even "abstract" as a synonym for it.
-- Bob
---------

Just a note about cleanup tasks that we need to do, as I don't really have time for this.
http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:C ... .83.84.254  Pretty much everything here in the creation of category pages is useless, and should probably be deleted.  But wait, there's more!  If there's an LQT page archive as the only member of the category, and there's nothing on that archive, the page needs to be deleted.  And then the /Reviews page above each of these LQT archives needs to be moved into the Reviews: namespace.  And then we need to change the default reviews template to add the box.  Specifically, this should be a template:
Quote:{| class="wikitable"! Rate this work on a scale from 1 to 5|}
Next, these are pages that need images fixed: http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ta ... LinkSearch  Basically all of those need to be converted to File:* links, but some of them also had CamelCase expansion happen in the middle so you'll have to find the correct file name.  They're all uploaded, though.
And, as always, http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:UnusedCategories need emptied.
As far as laconics, I can make multiple names for the tag easily enough.  There also needs to be some reverse get-laconic tag of some kind.  I'm also thinking of just throwing the laconic text up on pages (and their subpages?) where the text now reads "Everything About Fiction You Never Wanted to Know."  Also, if I can figure out a way to do it sanely, a way to add a tag with the contents of the Laconic for SEO.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Just a note about cleanup tasks that we need to do, as I don't really have time for this.

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:C ... .83.84.254  Pretty much everything here in the creation of category pages is useless, and should probably be deleted.  But wait, there's more!  If there's an LQT page archive as the only member of the category, and there's nothing on that archive, the page needs to be deleted.  And then the /Reviews page above each of these LQT archives needs to be moved into the Reviews: namespace.  And then we need to change the default reviews template to add the box.  Specifically, this should be a template:
Quote:{| class="wikitable"
! Rate this work on a scale from 1 to 5

|}

I'm not happy with the other changes made by that anonymous user, either.

I'll see what I can do.

vorticity Wrote:Next, these are pages that need images fixed: http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... amespace=0  Basically all of those need to be converted to File:* links, but some of them also had CamelCase expansion happen in the middle so you'll have to find the correct file name.  They're all uploaded, though.

There's over nine thousand! Can a bot do this?

vorticity Wrote:And, as always, http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:UnusedCategories need emptied.

That's easy enough.

vorticity Wrote:As far as laconics, I can make multiple names for the tag easily enough.  There also needs to be some reverse get-laconic tag of some kind.  I'm also thinking of just throwing the laconic text up on pages (and their subpages?) where the text now reads "Everything About Fiction You Never Wanted to Know."  Also, if I can figure out a way to do it sanely, a way to add a tag with the contents of the Laconic for SEO.

Sure, why not?
--
Rob Kelk

I fixed the link, there's only 46 in the main namespace.  The links in the File namespace are supposed to be there for attribution reasons.
-- ∇×V

I think the IP is Lulzkiller, just ask him and if it's him, ask him to cease making categories we don't need.

Also, I finally made this:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_1_Remake

I put a note on the page about any edits made by me are "Word of God" level stuff, as I'm using it to help me keep track of my own game verse as much as I trying to contribute tropes, so I'd just like to clarify I'm not making an intentional shrine and I welcome edits by others.

vorticity Wrote:...
And, as always, http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:UnusedCategories need emptied.
I think I got them all. I also made a dent in http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... &limit=500
--
Rob Kelk

As long as we're cleaning up...

Is there any reason not to delete the File pages that display the message "Error creating thumbnail: File missing" on http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:UnusedFiles ?
--
Rob Kelk

No, don't -- very often they just need to be re-uploaded, often from copies of TVT in the Wayback Machine.

Also, any redlinked files that have been deleted (particularly the ones by that helpful bot/admin about a year ago) -- restore them, and then if they have a TVT origin you can do the same.
Edit:  Helpful note:  The Wayback Machine doesn't like to retrieve images alone.  You'll have to use the URL to the TVT version of the page it displays on, and use that in the Wayback Machine, then save the image directly from the displayed page.
-- Bob
---------