Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VII

Likewise.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Not that you need a majority of ATT admins to set TvT Rivals policy, but I also have no problem with that.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Cool, so we can agree on the official alliance. *breaks out virtual champagne*

@Bob: Check your mail, we sent you one of the 5900 reviews we saved from Tv Tropes.

@vorticity: The second part of our salt is "c_AhMo0l".

Any of you guys on the xkcd forums? We wanted to tell them how we applied the r9k concept for tropes, but haven't been approved yet.

OK, topic's started. Let's see what they think about it. Feel free to check it out, after all it's about you too. Because without your rip we couldn't have started this.

TVTR -- I saw it in my inbox very late last night but haven't had a chance to actually look at it. In advance, though, thanks!
Edit, 2 hours later:  Ouch.  He really wasn't impressed by Sailor Moon, was he?  Hm.  If all the reviews are structured like that, it shouldn't be too hard to gin up a bot to add them to the wiki.
Oh, and your link goes to this page instead of where you wanted it to go.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah, the reviews are like this. Some contain wiki links and WWW links as well, but since the format is the same as on Tv Tropes, this should work as well. - If you converted >150k wiki pages for MediaWiki in the past,

I would hesitate to speak for all of us, but I would gladly accept the reviews. However, I'm basically beginner bot guy, with no grasp of the database stuff behind the wiki. If I can't work up a bot for bringing them in on my own, they may end up sitting around untouched until Vorticity can find a spare moment or two in his copious free time.
-- Bob
---------

TvT Rivals Wrote:Yeah, the reviews are like this. Some contain wiki links and WWW links as well, but since the format is the same as on Tv Tropes, this should work as well. - If you converted >150k wiki pages for MediaWiki in the past,
--
Rob Kelk

@rob: Of course we're not revealing some salt we actually use in our database. (In fact, any PW stored there has its own salt.) As said here: We have a certain title for our wiki in mind, which we don't want to reveal yet - so we salted and hashed it and posted the result. Just so we have a proof later.

Anyway, the fourth part is "eTjCmxb0".

@Bob: Check your mail, the reviews are there. One more piece for your wiki.

We'll be quite busy in the next time, because we've started what may be the trickiest task: Turning the tropes pages (that is, the example lists) into individual examples - while making sure we won't get any duplicates. (The examples from works are already there after all.)

Wish us some good luck with these, please.

Also, we downloaded the YKTTW threads (only the old ones, though) and want to turn them into discussions as well.

Argh. Searches for terms that don't hit the autocomplete -- in this case for the word "franchise" -- are returning 504 gateway errors.
-- Bob
---------

Not sure if anyone's noticed, but we upgraded both of the mediawiki servers to add a second CPU core two days ago. Things seem to be working a little bit faster for me, anyway.

Costs have gone up accordingly, by $3 a month. If one person reading this donates $3, our fundraiser will be over.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Not sure if anyone's noticed, but we upgraded both of the mediawiki servers to add a second CPU core two days ago. Things seem to be working a little bit faster for me, anyway.

Costs have gone up accordingly, by $3 a month. If one person reading this donates $3, our fundraiser will be over.
Is that $3 increase just for ATT or for Miraheze as a whole? (Since poserdazfreebies appears to be in the top five Miraheze wikis by pagecount, my pro-rated share might be twice as much as everyone else's. )

Speaking of poserdazfreebies, how difficult is it to set up a couple of new namespaces there? I want to start "Forum:" (because discussions about the wiki are scattered throughout various Talk: pages) and "Gallery:" (because the topic is primarily a visual one) - is this something I can do, or do I need to catch a steward's attention?
--
Rob Kelk

Haven't seen much improvement, honestly. And any time I search for something -- like the word "English" -- and don't choose an autocomplete offer, I end up with 503 or 504 errors after the wiki churns for a minute or two.
-- Bob
---------

robkelk Wrote:
vorticity Wrote:Not sure if anyone's noticed, but we upgraded both of the mediawiki servers to add a second CPU core two days ago. Things seem to be working a little bit faster for me, anyway.

Is that $3 increase just for ATT or for Miraheze as a whole? (Since poserdazfreebies appears to be in the top five Miraheze wikis by pagecount, my pro-rated share might be twice as much as everyone else's. )

Speaking of poserdazfreebies, how difficult is it to set up a couple of new namespaces there? I want to start "Forum:" (because discussions about the wiki are scattered throughout various Talk: pages) and "Gallery:" (because the topic is primarily a visual one) - is this something I can do, or do I need to catch a steward's attention?
Well Rob, here's your options for a forum:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DPLforum

Use this extension to add a forum namespace and rip off what we did on ATT.

OR

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiForum

I explained how this works earlier in this thread.

Both are viable for your forum.

As for a Gallery, that can be easily added if you file a request for it alongside your pick for a forum.

Thanks - I'll look at the pros and cons of both solutions "in my copious free time", and might even make a choice by the end of the weekend.

Back to Bob's issue (ATT is slow). I just loaded the main page of ATT, typed "The Simpsons" into the search box and pressed Enter, started a new tab, loaded the main page of the freebie wiki, typed "ChibiBel" into its search box, got the Chibibel page, and went back to the ATT tab to see it was still working in the back end. I eventually got a 504 on ATT.

So whatever the issue is, it isn't something that affects all of Miraheze.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, I've gotten the 504 on search too... but only sometimes.  Sometimes search is actually pretty fast.  I'll get someone to investigate.
That's $3 more for the whole farm.  I think we're generally using about $50 a month now, which is not that bad.  All The Tropes accounts for 15% of the page views on Miraheze -- and probably higher in data traffic, due to the size of our pages.  ATT's traffic only increased by 1% last month, which means that we're not growing that great, either.  A single post I made on Hacker News was the largest draw to the site, and they spent an average of 3 minutes on the site (and one person like 2 hours!).  This is all a way of saying that posting even a lone link to us on any forum can drive a lot of interest in our site, so please do so.  Thanks to people posting on spacebattles, reddit, and kiwifarms (I know you're here, trolls!).
Anyway I created a new category called Slim Tropes, because why let all of the fat-bottomed girls have all the fun?  I can't think of many -- and I'm starting to think there aren't that many tropes about this.  If you can think of some, please add them.
-- ∇×V

I gotta say http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tes57lv9kpude9w2 makes me unsettled.  It's clearly in a context of personal communication between two people who know each other (I hope!).  But seeing "faggot" float by on Recent Changes is not awesome, and will probably make some people uncomfortable.  And then there's going to be the people who interpret it as hate speech, although a lot of them will consider Category:Turn-On Tropes as hate speech too.   Not sure what to do.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:I gotta say http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tes57lv9kpude9w2 makes me unsettled.  It's clearly in a context of personal communication between two people who know each other (I hope!).  But seeing "faggot" float by on Recent Changes is not awesome, and will probably make some people uncomfortable.  And then there's going to be the people who interpret it as hate speech, although a lot of them will consider Category:Turn-On Tropes as hate speech too.   Not sure what to do.

Yeah, it's Lulzkiller and Cobaltcat, two ED alumni. They know each other, it's them joking around with each other.

For the record, I have a live and let live policy so long as none of the involved parties are complaining, and as a neutral observer they can call each other whatever they like so long as they are there to positively contribute, which they are doing.

vorticity Wrote:I gotta say http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tes57lv9kpude9w2 makes me unsettled. It's clearly in a context of personal communication between two people who know each other (I hope!). But seeing "faggot" float by on Recent Changes is not awesome, and will probably make some people uncomfortable. And then there's going to be the people who interpret it as hate speech, although a lot of them will consider Category:Turn-On Tropes as hate speech too. Not sure what to do.
My first thought on seeing that was "there's a time and a place for that sort of thing, and I'm not sure ATT is it."

My second thought was of paragraph 6 of the Policy for Wiki Staff.

My third thought was that my second thought trumps my first thought... so,. as long as there aren't any complaints, I'm not going to touch it.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, that's the problem. What two EDiots consider good-natured ribbing, most other people would consider a reason for war. And on a wiki for all kinds of fiction you'll find both kinds, and thus many opportunities for them to clash. (It was less of a problem when Tv Tropes was fully or mainly a Buffy-Angel-and-Firefly wiki, since the userbase was more homogenous.)

You see, that's why we thought up this thing: Any thread (and wiki page too) can be categorized for the amount of sex, violence and "bad words" in it. People have their filters which they can switch on once, and afterwards they simply won't see anything that's too heavy for them. That way nobody should be "triggered".

We'll still need some weeks until we can start our version of the wiki, but then we can test this idea in the wild.

And although I'm the last to chime in, yeah, Staff Rule 6 applies. If they start slinging that kind of language at other users who don't know/appreciate ED usage, though, that's a different story.
-- Bob
---------

Something to consider for the Staff Rules: When we speak about tropes sites elsewhere, we say right from the get-go that we're ATT admins, so that people know we have a possibly-unconscious bias. (I just did that here.)
--
Rob Kelk

Yes. I wrote the original version of those rules pre-ATT simply to address the behavior of Fast Eddie and his sycophants, and never gave any thought to off-wiki activity; covering such would be a very good addition.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yes. I wrote the original version of those rules pre-ATT simply to address the behavior of Fast Eddie and his sycophants, and never gave any thought to off-wiki activity; covering such would be a very good addition.

i couldn't agree more.