Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
And just now Chrome reported "This site can’t be reached allthetropes.org refused to connect. ... ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" for me.

EDIT: Rob, Phabricator already has a ticket for DNS outages today, which might be the same as your DNS error above.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well. The KanriKyara wiki is now offline -- getting a Cloudflare "connection timed out" screen when I don't get "something went wrong" -- and issue-tracker.miraheze.org as well ("Connection timed out Error code 522"). Whatever this is, it's starting to look farm-wide.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Definitely farm-wide -- the freebie wiki is giving 50* errors, too.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Looks like we're back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see somebody did something to the blog extension that we were using. All of the blog posts and replies are now listed on Special:DeadendPages with the page prefix "Broken/Special:Badtitle/"

(I have never understood why we even had a blog extension. We're a wiki, not a social media site... which might be why we don't have a blog extension any more considering Miraheze's new-this-calendar-year rules about anything to do with social-media sites. Anyway...)

Who has time to go through those 126 pages of posts and replies (one post or reply per page, with no context) and salvage anything that's on-topic for the wiki?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not at the moment, sadly. I barely have enough free time to keep up with the new edits and moderation -- and sometimes not even the latter.
-- Bob

The admins and a few other Tropers will notice this anyway, what with the half-dozen or so notifications that are now in your wiki inboxes... I just did a sweep of the Trope Workshop. I proposed deleting one outright, turning a few into Useful Notes, and salvaging an abandoned candidate if somebody who isn't me is willing to adopt it. Oh, and I asked about Looney Toons' current candidate.

EDIT: "Trope", not "Tripe". Stupid autocorrupt for suggesting that and stupid me for accepting it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well. My notifications don't appear when I click -- either in a dropdown or a separate page. But for some reason that's not doing anything other than displaying a "working" graphic. Neither is the search block at the top of Recent Changes. Something's broken somewhere.

EDIT: And I just noticed I'm getting a spinner mouse icon on all talk pages and I can't add replies. <sigh>

EDIT 2: And the dropdowns for standard edit reasons are not appearing on edit pages.

At least for the moment this seems to be all the malfunctions I'm running into.

EDIT 4: I spoke too soon. Typeahead/autocomplete in the search prompt and edit window both aren't working, nor is the "new edits since xxxx" on the Recent Changes page. Or hover-reveal of spoilers. Is something preventing Javascript from loading or something?
-- Bob

(09-10-2024, 07:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well.  My notifications don't appear when I click -- either in a dropdown or a separate page.  But for some reason that's not doing anything other than displaying a "working" graphic.  Neither is the search block at the top of Recent Changes.  Something's broken somewhere.

EDIT:  And I just noticed I'm getting a spinner mouse icon on all talk pages and I can't add replies.  <sigh>

EDIT 2:  And the dropdowns for standard edit reasons are not appearing on edit pages.

At least for the moment this seems to be all the malfunctions I'm running into.

EDIT 4:  I spoke too soon.  Typeahead/autocomplete in the search prompt and edit window both aren't working, nor is the "new edits since xxxx" on the Recent Changes page.  Or hover-reveal of spoilers.  Is something preventing Javascript from loading or something?

I'm getting that too. Something must not be loading right on the backend.
Also, clicking on the "edit" link on a Lint Error entry calls up the page-edit window but does not highlight the lint error (the way it usually does).

Yeah, something's not working properly.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just noticed that at least some of these features are working on the KanriKyara wiki. So it's not looking like a farm-wide issue.
-- Bob

Who has time to enter a "Performance issues on All the Tropes" ticket? This won't get solved if they don't know about it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have just submitted one.
-- Bob

"TV Tropes/Quotes" currently has three sections: "It Just Bugs Me (Headscratchers)", "Neutral", and "Negative". Are there truly no positive quotes about TVT?

Yes, I know that many people tend to find All The Tropes after being kicked off of TVT and thus aren't particularly positive about their experience there, and most of the other people who find ATT don't have any experience either way with TVT. But that isn't a reason to avoid listing quotes that show TVT in a positive light.

("I'm too busy with other wiki work to have time to go find any" is a reason, though. Add to the wiki in whatever way you work best. Anyway...)

I've added a "Positive" header to the page but commented it out because having an empty section made it look like there aren't any at all, which I'd rather not imply.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
MilkmanConspiracy has been offered and has accepted moderation rights:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Yc57...odc5541czk
Is anybody else not getting autocomplete in the search box?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm not. I submitted a ticket about it yesterday, and it's been rolled into an existing one about CirrusSearch not working right.
-- Bob

The current problems with CirrusSearch are making my usual strategies for finding if we have a trope useless, so I'm asking here: Do we have a trope for someone who namedrops famous people to demonstrate how famous/important/connected they themselves are?
-- Bob

(09-13-2024, 10:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The current problems with CirrusSearch are making my usual strategies for finding if we have a trope useless, so I'm asking here: Do we have a trope for someone who namedrops famous people to demonstrate how famous/important/connected they themselves are?

Aargh... I'm sure we have that one, but I don't remember what it's called. "Name Drop" redirects to "Title Drop". "I Know a Guy" redirects to "Friend in the Black Market". So it isn't either of those.

And I can't remember a character who does that, so I can't just look at a Characters subpage and see whether it's listed in the character's tropelist...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know of two characters who do it -- but one is the one I want to put the trope on (Ginger Grant) and the other (Feldman the Magnificent from The Magic Show) comes from a work without a character page, and the behavior is listed under Shout-Out on its trivia page.
-- Bob