Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
(10-11-2024, 05:04 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: Sorry to necro this, but whenever I try to reply, I get hung up over potentially implying the wrong thing regarding what is and isn’t acceptable. (I understand it, but I’m failing to articulate it in a way that is both accurate and friendly.)

I just want to convey that their edits are OK to import, if attributed to themselves properly, containing no work of others who did not explicitly consent to their work being used under a different license, that there isn’t a need to rewrite it to appear different (But there is to use mediawiki syntax/different trope names), and any improvements over earlier versions are obviously welcome.

If you use those words, you should be okay.

We expect people to use at least high-school-graduate vocabulary, grammar, and syntax, and that's what you're using here.

(10-11-2024, 05:04 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: They requested a copy of their old edits, Is it ok to PM them that?

Yes. If we didn't have Moderation running, they or anyone else would be able to get the old edits out of the page history. This is just an extension of that.

(10-11-2024, 05:04 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: I've been a bit disoriented recently - I apologize for my hang up here.

No worries. We've all had bad days in the past.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(10-11-2024, 06:39 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-11-2024, 05:04 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: I've been a bit disoriented recently - I apologize for my hang up here.

No worries. We've all had bad days in the past.

At least your bad days don't manifest as snarly, snarky lashing out. (He said, trying to look innocent and failing.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-11-2024, 05:04 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: GethN7
MilkmanConspiracy
Sorry to necro this, but whenever I try to reply, I get hung up over potentially implying the wrong thing regarding what is and isn’t acceptable. (I understand it, but I’m failing to articulate it in a way that is both accurate and friendly.)

I just want to convey that their edits are OK to import, if attributed to themselves properly, containing no work of others who did not explicitly consent to their work being used under a different license, that there isn’t a need to rewrite it to appear different (But there is to use mediawiki syntax/different trope names), and any improvements over earlier versions are obviously welcome.

They requested a copy of their old edits, Is it ok to PM them that?

I've been a bit disoriented recently - I apologize for my hang up here.
[quote pid="224959" dateline="1728641097"]

Sorry to necro this, but whenever I try to reply, I get hung up over potentially implying the wrong thing regarding what is and isn’t acceptable. (I understand it, but I’m failing to articulate it in a way that is both accurate and friendly.)

They requested a copy of their old edits, Is it ok to PM them that?

I've been a bit disoriented recently - I apologize for my hang up here.
[/quote]

Yes, it is always fine give them copy of their original edits. If need be, it can be posted in a downloadable text file (and you can give them a private link to download it, many services exist for this purpose.
Just as an FYI, I opened a new task about search suggestions being somewhat incomplete still: T12750
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-12-2024, 02:36 AM)In The Trailers Thread III, Jinx999 Wrote:

Which reminds me... We really need to do something about our coverage of long-running franchises that have had new material since the fork from TVT. (For example, our page for this series is something I threw together from existing examples in various trope pages, and thus needs a much better description. We don't have pages for any of the other Star Trek shows since Enterprise.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-12-2024, 07:09 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-12-2024, 02:36 AM)In The Trailers Thread III, Jinx999 Wrote:

Which reminds me... We really need to do something about our coverage of long-running franchises that have had new material since the fork from TVT. (For example, our page for this series is something I threw together from existing examples in various trope pages, and thus needs a much better description. We don't have pages for any of the other Star Trek shows since Enterprise.)

It’s a vexing problem. It’s hard to jump from a redlink to a well developed article. To compound this, many series are written as works pages (Rather than Series Pages) that are amalgamations of various works into a single page, rather than their individual works.

Shame lower decks is ending. It had some interesting ideas, though it was understandably not every trekkies cup of tea.
Wikis are gone again.

Yes, all of them.

I filed the last ticket. Bob filed the one before. Labster, it's your turn.

EDIT, two minutes later: Never mind - the public wikis are back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I got 504s for about a minute somewhere around 1:30 or so. Something's definitely up, so file that ticket anyway. The wikis shouldn't vanish unexpectedly, however briefly they do so.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
ATT and KanriKyara were both MIA and SOL for just as long as it took for me to post about it in "My Apartment Manager" and come here. The hell is going on that the wikis completely vanish for just a few minutes at a time so frequently?
-- Bob

Just a reminder, since I see an edit to a YMMV subpage in the moderation queue and I don't have time to look at it right now...

YMMV pages list people's opinions. We don't remove people's opinions without saying why.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just replied to a new user with the oh-so-delightful screen name of "Spinosaurus Jizz"...

Quote:Moderation usually takes days, and we do not guarantee even a 72-hour turnaround. Send ing a mod a message after five minutes after making the edit does not speed the process - in fact, it slows the process beccause we have to answer questions instead of doing things like moderating edits.

So, yeah, no need to rush that edit through the queue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, for god's sake.

HLIAA14YOG is at it again, spewing more bile than usual and declaring outright that the film Barbie is evil.
-- Bob

Considering the invective directed against identifiable people, I'd say this is a violation of ATT:1WAY. And it isn't the first time.

And this time he's posted text that easily can be read as libellous (at least under Canadian law).

We need opinions that don't match those of the majority of tropers. We do not need legal headaches.

I'm putting him On Notice, pending a discussion. Tempban or permanent ban? I see no viable third option.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He's been tempbanned before, and we've stripped his automod/autopatrolled bit from him how many times already? If he hasn't learned by now, he's not going to. Permban.
-- Bob

Since I don't know the hate speech laws in the USA, is he in violationof this subsection of Miraheze's Global Conduct Policy?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(4 hours ago)robkelk Wrote: I'm putting him On Notice

He was already put on notice, last month. One-week tempban with possibilities of further sanctions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(3 hours ago)robkelk Wrote:
(4 hours ago)robkelk Wrote: I'm putting him On Notice

He was already put on notice, last month.  One-week tempban with possibilities of further sanctions.

I confess I'm very disappointed. I had hoped he'd have taken my friendly warning to quit spewing bile and keep a civil tongue.

Since he cannot, I support sterner measures. I'd like to put forth a rule modification for reviews stating that while strong opinions are fine, they should avoid naked hatred and be rendered in a civil and dispassionate manner.

As for whether his comments are a violation of hate speech laws under U.S. law, no, but just barely. Vile and mean yes, but his opinion, vile as it is, does not demand the incitement of violence against the targets of his ire, merely his contempt.
(2 hours ago)GethN7 Wrote: As for whether his comments are a violation of hate speech laws under U.S. law, no, but just barely. Vile and mean yes, but his opinion, vile as it is, does not demand the incitement of violence against the targets of his ire, merely his contempt.

Thanks, Geth. No need to refer this to the Stewards, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown