Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
Getting 504 errors trying to reach the wiki. It's been intermittently slow today, this is just even more of the same.

Oddly, the KanriKyara wiki doesn't appear to be affected.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I seem to recall somebody wondering whether we could use the Laconic version of a trope as a one-line description at the top of the trope page. If we do come up with a way to do that, we could also use the Laconic version as the "Basic Trope" entry on the trope's Playing With subpage. Just saying.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Good ideas, both -- if only I had the knowledge to productively investigate how to do that.

Meanwhile, Mussharraf Hossen Shoikot is getting pissy about the changes I made to his first page contribution. Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about with this "direct import" that apparently required him to delete the page template when creating the page?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Straight copy-and-paste with no changes for different templates at the source and destination wikis, apparently.

I've already told him "Don't do that".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Geeze. I really want to say that's stupid and/or lazy.

But I won't -- there.
-- Bob

Oh, i was so tempted to point out a trope that only we have, but I didn't. ... Yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, dear - A relatively-new troper is getting a database error when trying to save an edit. Mobile edit, editor is still going through Moderation.

Brent, is this a known issue, or do we need to enter a ticket?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-15-2024, 05:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, dear - A relatively-new troper is getting a database error when trying to save an edit.  Mobile edit, editor is still going through Moderation.

Brent, is this a known issue, or do we need to enter a ticket?

Sounds like something on the backend processed bad and the records for that page are vomiting out errors. Probably needs checked to see if the bot job cache needs updated.
(07-15-2024, 04:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, i was so tempted to point out a trope that only we have, but I didn't. ... Yet.

And he's responded to you. Apparently his time is way too valuable to waste on actually doing anything useful:

Mussharraf Hossen Shoikot Wrote:importing takes few seconds of spare time and physical effort. editing afterwards requires much more of those. i cannot do much at present.
-- Bob

(07-16-2024, 07:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-15-2024, 04:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, i was so tempted to point out a trope that only we have, but I didn't. ... Yet.

And he's responded to you.  Apparently his time is way too valuable to waste on actually doing anything useful:

Mussharraf Hossen Shoikot Wrote:importing takes few seconds of spare time and physical effort. editing afterwards requires much more of those. i cannot do much at present.

Which means it's time to point out the trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He's replied to you, but not to me. Looks like he'd rather fight than learn. If you're really curious, see the thread.

I replied with this, and now wash my hands of the thread:
Quote:We have told you what we want in plain language, and you continue to misinterpret what we say. You appear to be convinced that your False Dichotomy is the only way. It is not.

Perhaps it would be best if you were to find another troping site to take part in.

EDIT: And I've rejected two edits by the same person. One because it would have broken something a mod had fixed (and I pointed out that that's a tempbannable action), and the other because it went against our rule on abbreviations (and I pointed out how to get a rule changed).

RE-EDIT: Okay, I've lost all patience with this troper. Asking a question that I've already answered will do that. Somebody else gets to deal with them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm going to point out the "refusing to learn from honest mistakes" clause in "How We Do Bans Around Here" and leave him to hang himself.

EDIT: Well, I did a little more than that.

Why do I always make myself the Bad (or Worst) Cop?
-- Bob

Looks like Tabber and Related Pages don't play well together.

As seen on "Vendor Lock-In", when Related Pages looks for something to display from the "Playstation Vita" page:

Which one should we prioritize - Related Pages or Tabber? (Normally, I'd ask the Tropers, but IIRC neither of these were run past the Tropers before they were turned on.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:{{cleanup|The Self-Demonstrating version needs to be moved to a subpage, to maintain consistency with the rest of the wiki.}}

... Um, Rob? About three years ago we decided as a group to move Self-Demonstrating subpages into tabbers on the main pages. Well, I proposed it, and you said "sure!" If there's consistency to be maintained, it's in the other direction, because I never finished the task I assigned myself.
-- Bob

(07-17-2024, 11:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: Looks like Tabber and Related Pages don't play well together.

As seen on "Vendor Lock-In", when Related Pages looks for something to display from the "Playstation Vita" page:

Which one should we prioritize - Related Pages or Tabber? (Normally, I'd ask the Tropers, but IIRC neither of these were run past the Tropers before they were turned on.)

I removed the Tabber use on the affected page, and it's clear what the issue is.

Related Pages will work with Tabber, but it needs to have a small summary at the top of the page to grab to show a proper summary. The use of Tabber causes it to disregard this at the header since Related Pages is trained to disregard wikitext which is not plain text, and Tabber caused it to disregard all text within the Tabber markup.

So we can still use both, we just need to leave a small summary of the page at the top prior to the use of Tabber markup for Related Pages to have something to work with.
(07-17-2024, 12:52 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:{{cleanup|The Self-Demonstrating version needs to be moved to a subpage, to maintain consistency with the rest of the wiki.}}

... Um, Rob?  About three years ago we decided as a group to move Self-Demonstrating subpages into tabbers on the main pages.  Well, I proposed it, and you said "sure!"  If there's consistency to be maintained, it's in the other direction, because I never finished the task I assigned myself.

Did we?... we did.

Okay, never mind.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Two issues in as many days with Related Pages not playing well with other tools. Looks like I'm not using the published process to create an "Awesome" subpage for "Mind of Mencia"... which means not being able to turn "Live-Action TV/Awesome" into a category quite so easily.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well. That's definitely annoying.
-- Bob

Yeah.

I've skipped that page and gone on to others listed at "Live-Action TV/Awesome" so that the issue can be demonstrated if needed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-19-2024, 10:01 AM)robkelk Wrote: Yeah.

I've skipped that page and gone on to others listed at "Live-Action TV/Awesome" so that the issue can be demonstrated if needed.

Not much we can do about that. Thankfully, if we need to create a new page, we still have the drop-down on new pages to add relevant markup as needed.

I looked into the options for Related Pages, and it's considered a foreground skin element so it integrates smoothly into all supported skins. This unfortunately will not play nice with all templates and Lua scripting because their code, by necessity, plays second fiddle to skin code elements so they do not disable functional links to other pages.
Well, in this particular case, somebody who's actually familiar with the work could flesh out the page, pushing the related pages boxes farther away from the drop-down menu.

(That page needs a lot of work.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's a Sisyphean task... Every time I fix a Lint Error, the scanner finds at least a half-dozen more.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-19-2024, 04:26 PM)robkelk Wrote: Well, in this particular case, somebody who's actually familiar with the work could flesh out the page, pushing the related pages boxes farther away from the drop-down menu.

(That page needs a lot of work.)

Got it covered, page should not have the overlap anymore.
Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like I managed to fix the last "Multi colon escape" lint error without breaking anything.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown