Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
A few days after we agreed, I've deleted the dedication line.

I know that Works Pages Are a Free Launch, but does that also apply to Useful Notes?

Does this page need more work? Or a trip to the Trope Workshop? Or can it be launched straight out of my sandbox?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
In the past we have suggested to some users to put new Useful Notes that they were writing into the workshop, but it's certainly not required. Especially given how many of our Useful Notes were originally tropes at TVT, and got reassigned here in the first couple years after the fork.

As for the page in question, I think it's fine as-is. Launch it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-12-2024, 02:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: A few days after we agreed, I've deleted the dedication line.

I know that Works Pages Are a Free Launch, but does that also apply to Useful Notes?

Does this page need more work? Or a trip to the Trope Workshop? Or can it be launched straight out of my sandbox?

It probably needs some more time in the oven.
Thanks, folks.

If we're going to suggest to some people to pop a Useful Notes page into the Workshop, I'd better do that as well. No appearing to play favourites, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New category. It could use more populating - I've only done tropes starting with the letters A thrugh F so far.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just noticed that the "Alternate Universe Fic/Elsewhere Fic" section on Spice Girls/Fanfic Recs lists four fics, all four of which were recommended by the fics' writer. (Yes, the same writer in all four cases.)

It looks like we don't have a rule regarding promoting one's own works...

Does this mean I should be recommending Isekai by Moonlight on Sailor Moon/Fanfic Recs? Or do we want some other rule regarding self-hype?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I thought we did have such a rule... I'll have to go looking for where it might be.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Meanwhile... just after 4:15 EDT today, a new user registered under the name "Picturepawnllc". Yeah, not expecting anything but spam from them.
-- Bob

If it’s allowed, I propose adding a template along the lines of “The author has recommended their own fic, but no one else has, which is not the strongest indicator of quality. <small>please remove this message if you edit to support this rec as a non-author”
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-14-2024, 03:44 PM)Labster Wrote: If it’s allowed, I propose adding a template along the lines of “The author has recommended their own fic, but no one else has, which is not the strongest indicator of quality. <small>please remove this message if you edit to support this rec as a non-author”

Personally, I'm for just removing them entirely. If your work is good enough, it will be recommended on its own by fans. If not, we should not encourage attention whoring or ego fluffing.
I agree with Geth. Making a work page for one's one work is one thing. Promoting one's own work on a recommendations page is something else again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is there something wrong with the wiki's search engine? I'm not getting autocomplete/suggestions anymore from either the search prompt or when adding a link in the editor.
-- Bob

I noticed momentary absences of autocomplete/suggestions on and off yesterday. It's working as I post this... so I'm assuming load issues of some sort.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I finally figured out a way to not be depressed at the sheer size of the "Missing end tag" Lint Errors list: Treat it like an elephant.

("How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time.")

Enter a single letter in the "Please enter a title prefix or complete title:" box, choose the "Search for all pages that match the title prefix" button, and select the "Submit" button. The lists that result are much shorter than the list of everything.

I've seen the "No results" message for prefixes J, Q, X, Y, and Z so far... and every time I do, I get a sense of actually accomplishing something useful.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Has anyone else been seeing an annoying number of "Something went wrong - Give it a bit and try again" messages when saving pages over the last few days?
-- Bob

Question, I want to do a page on the song "Dixie", the Civil War version, but the problem is, there is a Confederate and Union version. Both have some overlapping lyrics, were inspired by the same tune, and both sides had a few different variations on the lyrics. Should I just make one page and discuss them together while highlighting the general differences? Or should I make a separate page for the Confederate and Union versions.
My first reaction is to do one page, with an Analysys subpage going over the differences. It's substantially the same Propaganda Piece, just slanted toward both sides of the conflict depending on which version one sings.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This might be a good page to use a tabber on, to present both versions "side-by-side" as it were.
-- Bob

(08-22-2024, 07:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: This might be a good page to use a tabber on, to present both versions "side-by-side" as it were.

Good call, I hadn't thought of that.

Eidt: Decided against it. Has a ton of variations, but the key element is what region they are aimed at, so I covered the song in general and general differences between versions.
Why are creator pages about bands tagged with both "Category:Musicians" and "Category:Music"?

We don't tag writers with both "Category:Authors" and "Category:Literature". We don't tag Hollywood stars with both "Category:Actors" and "Category:Film". We don't tag seiyuu with both "Category:Voice Actors" and "Category:Anime". Why treat singers differently from the other creators?

I've been cleaning this up as I noticed the issue, but now I'm wondering whether someone did what looks like an error on purpose...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Probably was an actual error, inflicted during the early years of the wiki.
-- Bob

Or it might be a legacy decision from the original Ruiner that never got emended.
Yeah, sounds like we should clean that up. And Bob, next post is 300, we'll need to bake a new thread.
Right you are, and the new thread can be found here.
-- Bob