Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dearly Departed of 2024
RE: Dearly Departed of 2024
William Russell, who played Ian Chesterton in some of the very first episodes of Doctor Who, has passed away.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Scriviner
----
Web Home
William Anders - Apollo 8 - Earthrise Photo. Discussion
----
Web Home
Lynn Conway - The Queen of VLSI - And one of the earliest open transgender persons.
See https://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/...tiveT.html for her story.
----
Web Home
RIP Dr. Ed Stone, former director of JPL and Voyager project scientist
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RIP Érik Canuel, director of (among other movies) Bon Cop, Bad Cop.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Willie Mays

I know we don't usually mentions pro sports players, but they wrote a song about Willie...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Donald Sutherland

His list of roles on Wikipedia takes a quarter-hour to read.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Bruce Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Shelley Duvall, age 75
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Richard Simmons Fitness Guru

Dr. Ruth Westheimer sex therapist and talk show host
RIP Shannen Doherty, of 90210 and Charmed fame.

Age 53. Cancer.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nobody's picking up the phone.

RIP Bob Newhart
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Some of my earliest memories include playing my parents' vinyl of The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back!, over and over, until I had it memorized practically word for word. Ye gods, I loved love that record.

"You hear what Nutty George did last night? The dollar across the Potomac ... they didn't tell you about that? Had us up 'til three in the morning looking for the damn' thing."

Back in 2008, Wiregeek posted a song on The Game... that I suggested might give Doug a high-speed, possibly FTL, flight power that could bring a number of others flying in formation with him. Then Bob our host noted that something about the song (and a few others he'd heard lately) made him feel they'd fit into the Sailor Moon step. I responded to that with a paraphrase of one of Newhart's lines from a Strikes Back! monologue about a low-budget airline: "Good afternoon, ladies and cats, and welcome aboard the Colonel Douglas Q. Sangnoir Airline and Stormdoor Company, with service to the latest youma incursion...."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Yeah, Bob Newhart hits me harder than most of these here, because I think of myself as something of an amateur comedian, and Newhart is... was such a master of the craft.  You can keep picking apart his phrasing, his cadence, his word choices, and his little changes of facial expression, and there is so much there.  So much to learn from.  Effortless and natural seeming jokes, but the product of so much practice.

(07-18-2024, 09:38 PM)DHBirr Wrote: "You hear what Nutty George did last night? The dollar across the Potomac ... they didn't tell you about that? Had us up 'til three in the morning looking for the damn' thing."

Gosh, if Tomo Takino ever needs to summon a heroic spirit for a grail war, I know who she's getting.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RIP Abdul 'Duke' Fakir, last surviving member of the Motown group Four Tops
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
After 62 years inside, Betty gets back door parole

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Rachael Lillis, voice of Pokemon's Misty and Utena Tenjou, age 46
-- Bob

Actress Gena Rowlands, age 94
-- Bob

RIP Wally Amos, creator of Famous Amos
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Former Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall, age 98
-- Bob

Phil Donahue, age 88
-- Bob

Atsuko Tanaka, whom you all would know as the Major from the Japanese dub of Ghost In the Shell and many other shows where she lent her iconic voice, has left us, she will be missed:

https://animecorner.me/voice-actress-ats...ssed-away/
Roger Cook, Long time landscape contractor for the PBS show "This Old House" https://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh-cast-cr...roger-cook
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
RIP Dr Helen Fisher, Senior Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute, who pioneered research into how the brain and endocrine systems create love and passion. Age 79, cancer.

https://helenfisher.com/
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown