Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh oh.... (Mass Effect)

Haven't got time to go into it right now, but basically, I have to disagree with most of the complaints about the ending. I do wish Bioware had expanded on a few minor details, but a few minutes thought actually makes it all fit rather well without too many problems.

They had an ending in as much as the tied up the major concerns and ended the threat; there was at least a modicum of achievement in that. Plot holes, irrelevancy, and "betraying the ideals of the game" or not, they at least they made an honest attempt to give a big conclusion. If the game ended with Shepard charging into The Final Battle, I would be much less happy. Your Mileage May Vary, but I can be satisfied with what I've heard.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

possible explanation: they did it the lulz!

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

[img]http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/image/711">

An interesting counterpoint to all the ME3 rage: The Penny Arcade Report on the subject.
And of course, it was bound to happen: Hitler Finishes Mass Effect 3
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

http://imgur.com/MoZuc

captioned as 'A Spolier Free Guide to Why the End of Mass Effect 3 sucked.'
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

It is kind of lame seeing as one and two's endings where biased on Shepard being a paragon of virtue or a renegade that plays by their own rules.

So when 3 goes "Your endings are biased on how many of those mini quests you did." I can fully understand the rage.

Sort of reminds me when Fallout 3 hit, the ending was lame as, but one DLC pack later and it was all good.

(Warning, spoilers ahead. Anyone remember how to do spoiler tags? I'll edit!)

The two main endings (Well, three, actually, Destroy turns out VERY differently depending on the quality and condition of the Crucible) aren't really Paragon and Renegade, regardless of the usual use of blue and red. And Synthesis is more of a Crucible quality issue then anything else. I sort of understand people being irritated at the endings linked to the War Assets system, but at the same time, there was a similar system in regards to keeping the crew alive in ME2. If you speed through the game, do nothing but the main missions, ignore the side missions, don't grab any war assets or opportunities for reputation boosts, you're heading for the bad ending. Work at it a bit, and the endings are much better.

Yes, they're vague. The Normandys situation could have been explained so much better with a simple scene showing your squadmates heading back into space when they realize you made it to the Conduit, as they KNOW Shepard will manage to unlock the Citadel, and then having Hackett order them (And the geth if they're there) to run like hell once the Catalyst reveals what the Destroy option will do. Hit the Relay, get as far away as possible in the hope EDI might be able to survive it. As for being stranded on an unknown planet? The Normandy had Quantum Entanglement Communicators. Those don't need the Relays, although they're limited to linking to another specific QEC. But they're all over the galaxy by this point, given the need for communications systems the Reapers couldn't destroy. If they can figure out where they are (And I'd put money on them crashing back into the star system that particular relay was linked to), it's not impossible for someone to be in range to get them before supplies run out. And yeah, the Relays are gone. Big deal. They've been reverse engineered before. There's a second Conduit on Earth to study, quite possibly the wreckage of the Citadel, and it just so happens that the galaxies best minds and engineers are all in one location thanks to the Crucible project. I'm not saying it's a certain development, or that it'll be quick. It'll take years at the very least, possibly more. And entire sections of the galaxy will still be left isolated and alone, surviving or dying on their own merits and failures. It would be centuries at least before galactic civilization could truly rebuild. But it CAN rebuild.

That's the thing I love about the ending. It reshapes the galaxy, changes everything! It's the end of THIS era, and there's a heavy price to pay, but unless you screw up by the numbers, life continues! Life rebuilds! The people you met, the people you helped or fought, saved or crushed, are out there facing a brand new future, because of you. Commander Shepard saves the galaxy and creates a future unlike anything anyone could have expected! Yes, I wish there was more details! Bioware hurt themselves by trying to be too cute. But I honestly believe the ending was good. I want to see the future.

[Image: tumblr_m0x4ptVuWc1r3xauuo1_500.png]

Sadly, due to all that's been said about the ending... I've lost interest in playing ME3.

I'm not joking, half way through a mission last night, I got up, turned the X-box off and went to read a book. >.>

Folks, this is what fanfiction is for. Smile

Well... 
I wanted to strenuously avoid spoilers for the 3rd installment of the series. I did indulge in watching a few isolated clips on youtube before the release, and the trailers of course. But I wanted to go into the 3rd game as much a "tabula rasa" from the end of "Arrival" as possible. 
But I also planned to wait on buying and installing the game for a couple of weeks to a month after launch. I'm patient. And I figured that there would be bugs (like the face import) that would be patched and fixed. I kept enough attention on the Mass Effect franchise to hear about things like that. 
So naturally, while keeping my radar out for non-spoiler news on the game and all, I started hearing about the ending controversy. I figured, "How bad could it possibly be?" 
Then I heard about "Retake Mass Effect" and the guy who filed a complaint with the FTC. And THAT got my attention. I realized after hearing about "No choices mattered in the end" that I would have to break my "no spoilers" rule and seek out info on the ending to see what was the problem.
My god... 
I am so glad now that I spent absolutely zero money on Mass Effect 3 or any related product. I -was- going to. I had a small budget set aside for the game and any DLC that would be forthcoming. 
But... no. 
No. 
FUCKING NO!!!!
I am so INCANDESCENTLY PISSED OFF at Bioware I am having trouble finding any words in print or in real life to properly convey it. I think the closest I could come to is (insert noise of primal scream of rage here) 
I won't go point by point through all the various ways the ending (singular - because there IS only ONE ending, just different colors of explosions) is UNACCEPTABLE because it's already been gone over and over and over. You people have all seen the various bullet points as to why. If you haven't, then go here. 
I can only add my small kindling to the bonfire of rage. 
Here's how I feel. 
Until even a few days ago, I was happily able to go replay sections of ME1 & 2. (No need to replay an entire game, I had my Shepards as I wanted them and ready to go. I just replayed cool sections and was getting practice back in the style of combat.) 
Now I look at the icons for them on my quicklinks and all I feel is utter revulsion. Sick to my stomach. I have to turn away. 
I have to keep stopping myself from uninstalling the games from my computer. And the ONLY reason I don't, is because after seeing the entire movement and revolt of all the players against Bioware, I know I'm not alone. And that there is a good chance that a better ending COULD be coming. 
But whether or not I buy the game now depends entirely on one thing - 
Does my Shepard even have a CHANCE at a fully triumphant happy ending? I get that there will be sacrifices. I GET that the Mass Relay network might have to go away. I GET that Galactic civilization might never be what it was before. 
But DAMNIT. I spared the Rachni queen. Even in ME 2 I was well on my way to resolving the differences between the Geth and the Quarians. Wrex was alive and well and the genophage was going to be cured. 
I WANT my "Gondor calls for aid" scenes! I want to see Shepard say FUCK YOU to the Reapers and I want to have the Quarians and Geth side by side screaming in and blowing up Reapers. I want the Krogan and the Rachni ground forces to double team hordes of husks and curbstomp Praetors! I want the Turians and Humans back to back as brothers in the fight. I want the Asari and Salarians doing the flanking manuevers and biotic charges in pinpoint strikes.
My Shepard would NEVER - and WILL NEVER - take at face value 3 BULLSHIT choices of some god-child whose arguments don't even make fucking sense! I don't even want the stupid "god-child" in the game. But if they had to leave that in - I WANT my 4th choice of FUCK YOU. 
I can even handle having my Shepard die in the process if I can get all that and some resolution and closure. (But I'd much rather have her alive)
And if I don't get that - then my FUCK YOU will be directed at Bioware. And I will never, EVER buy a single product of theirs again. And I will warn all my friends not to buy anything from them as well. 

I hated the ending, but I still liked ME3. It definitely feels very weird for it to be so, so good up until the point Harbinger nearly vaporises Shepard. I'm waiting to see what BioWare/EA do in the wake of this, but for now anything else they make will no longer be day-one purchase for me, if at all.

It's your call, Logan.  But I have to ask... don't you ever get tired of getting so fired up all the time and jumping head-first into your conclusions?

I mean, by your own admission, you have not played the game.  You've just watched the endings.

I bought ME3.  I've played it through.  And y'know what?  Yeah.  I don't like the endings presented to you.  But let's break this down.  For my $50, I have received:

* about 30 hours of solid entertainment -- movie-quality entertainment, with multiple points where I was brought low, almost to tears, and then sent screaming back into joy.  You mentioned not wanting spoilers before, so I won't spoil them.  But let's just say that every loyalty mission you ever ran before is paid off in spades.  And I can re-run this with different characters.  I want to know what happens if I romance Traynor instead of Liara, for example.  Let's just say that turning Traynor down -- and the class with which she handled it -- was easily the most awesome bit of romantic character development I've seen in any franchise, ever.

* endless hours of solid entertainment, in nice neat 20-30 minute chunks that I can do over and over again.  The multiplayer alone justifies the monetary outlay.  There are bugs, but on the whole I am having tons of fun.

* conclusive and fitting ends to story arcs reaching back to Mass Effect 1.  The entire game of ME3 is a wrap-up.

The downsides:

* Multiplayer bugs that are, slowly, getting worked out -- but you don't *need* multiplayer anyway, if you don't want it, and I play more often than I get disconnected
* The last 10 minutes.

Of those downsides, the only one I can't fix is the multiplayer problem.  Because you're right, those last 10 minutes suck ass.  But all I have to do is say "No, that's not how it happened".  Maybe Bioware will fix it, but even if they don't, other people already have, in fiction.

I'm not terribly surprised that you're frothing at the mouth about it -- that seems to be your default state when you encounter something you don't like -- but I *am* surprised that you didn't give it a fair shake first.

Because, seriously?  10 minutes of Suck compared to endless hours of Awesome... well, that's pretty plain to me that the Suck is outweighed.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote:It's your call, Logan.  But I have to ask... don't you ever get tired of getting so fired up all the time and jumping head-first into your conclusions? 
Well, two things:  One - I don't actually do that all the time. I have as many "stop and think" moments as the average person. I think you're getting the passionate side of me because I haven't been posting as much recently, and when I do, it's about something that I'm passionate about. Two - when I DO jump head-first into a conclusion, you have to admit, it makes life more interesting! Got you to post, didn't it? Not that I'm intentionally trolling, but hey.

Quote:I bought ME3.  I've played it through.  And y'know what?  Yeah.  I don't like the endings presented to you.  But let's break this down.  For my $50, I have received:

* about 30 hours of solid entertainment -- movie-quality entertainment, with multiple points where I was brought low, almost to tears, and then sent screaming back into joy.  You mentioned not wanting spoilers before, so I won't spoil them.  But let's just say that every loyalty mission you ever ran before is paid off in spades.  And I can re-run this with different characters.  I want to know what happens if I romance Traynor instead of Liara, for example.  Let's just say that turning Traynor down -- and the class with which she handled it -- was easily the most awesome bit of romantic character development I've seen in any franchise, ever.

* endless hours of solid entertainment, in nice neat 20-30 minute chunks that I can do over and over again.  The multiplayer alone justifies the monetary outlay.  There are bugs, but on the whole I am having tons of fun.

* conclusive and fitting ends to story arcs reaching back to Mass Effect 1.  The entire game of ME3 is a wrap-up.

All of which I am certain is true. I don't even have to take your word for it. But see below.

Quote:The downsides:

* Multiplayer bugs that are, slowly, getting worked out -- but you don't *need* multiplayer anyway, if you don't want it, and I play more often than I get disconnected
Well, I can take the MP or I can leave it. I am slightly irked that it appears to be -necessary- in order to build one of the important scores in the game. And I've heard that if you don't play it for awhile, that score will go down. The hell? What if I play this game years from now after the game is no longer supported? What then? But I have a feeling that there would be some kind of patch to the game late in its life that would correct that. Or failing that, one could always go edit the gamefiles. So it's not that big of a deal. 

Quote:* The last 10 minutes.

Of those downsides, the only one I can't fix is the multiplayer problem.  Because you're right, those last 10 minutes suck ass.  But all I have to do is say "No, that's not how it happened".  Maybe Bioware will fix it, but even if they don't, other people already have, in fiction.

Then why do I need to play the game, then? I'll just read the fanfic. 

Quote:I'm not terribly surprised that you're frothing at the mouth about it -- that seems to be your default state when you encounter something you don't like -- but I *am* surprised that you didn't give it a fair shake first.

Because, seriously?  10 minutes of Suck compared to endless hours of Awesome... well, that's pretty plain to me that the Suck is outweighed.

I'm sorry, but I can't do that. I can't just consider the rest of the game apart from the ending. No matter how much fun it might be and how well the rest of it is written, the ending ruins it. Ruins the ENTIRE story. 

If Bioware fixes the ending, I'll be there in a heartbeat. But I cannot in good conscience support their decision to do this horrible ending by giving them money. 

Something someone else posted in a different forum struck me as a good analogy. 

"I keep seeing people who are either in favor of the ending or dislike it but don't care much say that asking for more and criticizing it is either a disservice to the rest of the game or akin to complaining to Shakespeare that Romeo and Juliet died. It's interesting that every time they bring up a Work of Literary Art in their comparison, it's a bona fide classic. In these works, whether you like 'em or not, the endings are all fitting and a seamless part of the whole.

That's because a bad ending can legitimately kill a good novel, and we don't remember those. We sell them back to the used bookstore and don't recommend them to our friends."

What's a bad ending? Something that throws out all the canon that has built up in the rest of the series and has the main character act completely contrary to their nature. That's what this is. 

I've heard that one of the endings even apparently ends with Shepard alive (barely). But what does it matter? Both she and her love are stranded thousands of light years from each other. The Earth is ruined. The mass relays are gone. There's tens of thousands of ships in orbit around this burning cinder of a planet that have nowhere to go to. (and how the hell did the explosion of the relay at Charon not vaporize the Sol system anyway like it did to that star system at the end of Arrival? Yet ANOTHER plot hole!) The Quarians and Turians here are screwed, because they can't eat the food anyway. 

(And I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm about to get dramatic again) 

Again - the rest of the game can be awesome, and I'm sure it is. And I DON'T CARE. Without a proper ending, NONE OF IT MATTERS. Did you read the part where I can't even play ME1 and ME2? I CAN'T. Because none of my choices matter. NONE OF IT DOES. 

RED.

BLUE.

GREEN. 

Kill the Rachni Queen? Save her? DOESN'T MATTER. 

RED. 

BLUE. 

GREEN. 

Save Wrex or not? DOESN'T MATTER. 

RED. 

BLUE.

GREEN.

Kaiden or Ashley? DOESN'T MATTER.

RED. 

BLUE.

GREEN. 

Wake Grunt up or not? DOESN'T MATTER.

RED. 

BLUE.

GREEN.

Save the Normandy crew from being dissolved into goo on the Collector Base? DOESN'T MATTER.

RED.

BLUE. 

GREEN.

Resolve the war between the Geth and the Quarians? DOESN'T MATTER.

RED.

BLUE.

GREEN. 

That's what they've done. They've made the entire series - every decision that you AGONIZED over. Everything that you emotionally invested in - EVERYTHING - mean NOTHING. 

RED. 

BLUE.

GREEN.

Just as a note, there is an active (occasionally heated) discussion going on in regards to the Ending on the Bioware Social site. Names have been called, lines have been crossed, and apologies made by both players and moderators. A useful summary post, albiet made from the stance that the ending should be changed/expanded, can be found here on the Bioware Social site. Also of interest, A statement by Bioware Co-Founder acknowledging the fan's displeasure with the ending.
---

I dunno why I'm posting this, really. It's really clear that discussing ME3 on the intertubes is a collective spleen venting thing more than anything. Rational discussion of the merits and shortcomings of the game as a whole were the first up against the wall when someone finished the game and everyone else found out about it.

But the thing I don't understand is the people that are boycotting Bioware over this. As if a single potential misstep would kill their *extensive* reputation for quality product.

Because Bioware?
Still made all of these:

Neverwinter Nights
Baldur's Gate
Jade Empire
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (again, the rest of the game is superb, ending or no)
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
The Old Republic

Bioware still makes quality work and presumably will continue to do so. People that aren't going to buy Bioware products sight unseen anymore? Fair enough, that's a reasonable reaction. That's wanting to make sure that you don't get the rug yanked out from under you again, for whatever definition of rug yanking that applies to you. Logical, when a given game will run you 50+ bucks these days. But boycotting them outright from now on due to an ending that they've acknowledged was poorly received? If you think that any writer, any production staff, any.... anything to do with creative writing is immune to "it seemed like a good idea at the time" and Murphy's Law screwing up their work, that's more bullshit than the collective amount of accusations of Bioware bullshit with regards to the ending. I'd like to see anyone do as good or better without screwing up once. The only difference is that Bioware charges for the effort they put into their stuff, and this apparently means they must've signed some "I must be perfect at all times, for lo I take your moniez" waiver that no one else has to.

Bioware's doing Command and Conquer in the next couple of years, the new Generals sequel. This has me genuinely excited. Still. Because it means they're a step closer to getting to the Tiberium series, and if Bioware writing *that* would result in another ME3 "controversy"? I'd pay for it gladly, because it would be That. Damn. Good. Like their stuff always is, even when I don't necessarily like it.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

I have to point out that your choices *do* matter.  Did you miss the part about the loyalty missions having a payoff?  Warning: spoilers!

I chose to save Wrex in ME1.  Therefore, Wrex is still alive in ME2, and plays a significant role in the shaping of Grunt.  I chose to make Grunt loyal.  In ME3, Grunt returns, and I will tell you here and now that I was ready to throw my monitor across the room, because the choice between him living and dying is what you decide to do about the Rachni queen.  If you release her (again!), he dies.  If you do not, he lives.

That's how it was written and it's made crystal clear during gameplay, in a very powerful way (hence the monitor-throwing).

But *because* I chose what I had, earlier, I had a third option.  I could set the Rachni queen free, and thus gain her support against the Reapers, *and* still save Grunt's life -- and get HIS support against the Reapers.  If I hadn't made the choices I had, none of that would have been an option.

So don't try to claim that "none of your choices matter".  They *do*.  The only part they don't affect is, again, the last 10 minutes.  And I'll get to that more in a minute.

This is *one* example.  All your previous choices come up, and *make a difference*.  I ended up with something over 6000 points in war assets by the time the endgame started.  Even Conrad Verner contributed.  Fully half of those were touched upon in one way or another, often directly influenced, by choices I had made in previous games.  In addition, if story is what matters most to you (it is to me), the amount of tie-in detail is astounding.  There are conversations on the Citadel that reference choices you made, that you overhear just walking by.  There are personal interactions colored by your previous choices.  Liara, Ashley, Jacob, Mordin, Grunt, Wrex/Wreav, Major Kirrahe, Aria -- the list goes on.  All of it flows together into the storyline, leading up to the grand climactic moment.

Which is *not* the last ten minutes.

Oh, sure, as written, that's what they were going for.  But tell me: did the video you watched show you every detail of the final Earth mission?  Did it show how you can go around and say your goodbyes to your friends and compatriots?  It's painfully obvious (in a good way) that that's what Shepard is doing.  Everyone knows they aren't going to survive this one.  There isn't going to be a happy ending.  There cannot be.  Too much has happened, too much time wasted when nobody would listen or recognize the threat.

But Shepard and the rest have faced their demons, made peace with that fact, and they're ready to do it so that everyone else in the galaxy might live.

THAT is the ending.  The last ten minutes, the R/G/B choice?  That's *nothing*.  That's the wrap-up, the after-show bouncer kicking everyone out.  This is what I mean when I say I disliked the last ten minutes, but I don't dislike the ending.

The ENTIRE GAME is the ending.  If you focus on the last ten minutes, yeah, you're going to be disappointed.  Do I want Bioware to change it?  I'm not sure.  I'd like the inclusion of a fuck-you option vs. the Catalyst.  But I don't demand it and I won't be disappointed if Bioware doesn't provide it, because I know that in MY story, those last ten minutes ended differently.

You can't have it both ways.  Either it's your story (and your choices matter, as I state), or it's Bioware's story and your choices don't.  And if that's the case, you have no leg to stand on getting upset about it.  Don't recommend it, sure.  Don't buy it, okay.  But I would argue the old adage about judging a book by its cover also applies.

Don't judge the worth of the entire thing by the last ten minutes.  Either it's your story and Bioware is just helping you visualize it, or you're a passive observer and have no input, so why do you care so much anyway?

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

It occurs to me that Bioware left the ending open and vague so that players COULD make their own endings without too much trouble. Let them imagine what comes next... Boy, they must be regretting that decision now Smile

Look, if they do what they say they're going to do and fix the ending - and by "fix" I mean give us some real choices to make that wind up with significantly different endings. Good, bad, bittersweet, or tragic. Doesn't matter, as long as we have the option - and fix the plot holes and thematic and canon violations, I'll go ahead and buy from them without any qualms. But I'm still going to wait and see what they do. 

As to whether or not the choices you have made matter in the rest of the story, Spud? I'm sure they do and they're awesome. At the time. 

But AGAIN - the ending INVALIDATES so very much of it! 

Just as an example: You can end the war between the Geth and the Quarians. You've PROVEN that synthetics and organics CAN co-exist. EDI is also another example of that. But at the end, you're forced to accept at face value the choices laid our for you by this "god-child". All of them under the assumption - stated as fact - that synthetics and organics can never co-exist. WHAT? We just PROVED he's WRONG! Why can't Shepard point that out? And the "destroy Reapers" (red) ending it's stated (again by the "god-child" that it will destroy all synthetic life-forms in the galaxy. *Throws up hands* Well FUCK. So much for the Geth, then! So much for EDI! Sorry guys! Incidentally, that's the only ending that will allow you to see Shepard live if you've done everything "right". 

And just in general - 

The Control ending? Forces the Reapers to lay off. But that just means eventually they'll shake that off. It's not a permanent solution. 

Synthesis? Wasn't one of the main themes of the story that tolerance AND diversity are to be valued? So the synthesis ending says that the only solution is to homogenize everything? To get rid of all diversity? 

And all of these require the Mass Relays to be destroyed? But doesn't that cause SUPERNOVA explosions that wipe out whole star systems? Either we assume that the explosions are "different" somehow (and not explaining this is another massive plot hole) and didn't cause supernovas all across the galaxy, or Shepard in one stroke just killed more sentient lives than the Reapers could on their best day. And even if we assume the best and that the relays destructed without the supernova explosions, it still leaves everyone stranded in the Sol system. Even if you assume the "god-child" was lying about much of what he was saying, that STILL screws the Quarians over no matter what, because they get their homeworld back, but now they are stranded from it more thoroughly than they were before! And not just the Quarians are screwed, as I said earlier. 

Thematically, consistently, logically, canonically, the endings go against EVERYTHING the series has been building toward up to that point. In addition to allowing no real difference in the ending that our main character is allowed to affect. 

Basically, the bitter taste of futility colors everything in the series based on the ending. I get enough of that in real life. I don't need it in my choice of story-telling medium, whether it be books, movies or games. 

And if you're going to say "screw it, just ignore the ending". Well then. Fine. I will too. And I'll enjoy the various fanfics that do different, much better denouements than this. And I'm not out 70-80+ dollars either. 

Quote:Either it's your story and Bioware is just helping you visualize it, or you're a passive observer and have no input, so why do you care so much anyway?

That's a false argument. I reject your premise. It's a synthesis of theirs and my story. It's not just theirs and it's not just mine either! It's a little of both! That's the unique nature of it! 

I care because everything up to that point is done so DAMN well! If it sucked from beginning to end I wouldn't care at all! The story, the universe, the background, the characters, EVERYTHING is superb! I loved it from the first 5 minutes I played. And it was not a completely linear story like Final Fantasy, where you're just following along. Choices you made did affect things! In a major way. Characters and even entire species can be saved or condemned based on what you do. So many things can be utterly different based on your choices. I expected the ending of Mass Effect 3 to have endings from as tragic as "Reapers kill everyone. The end." To bittersweet as "Shepard dies, but galaxy is saved." All the way to "Galaxy saved, Earth saved, Reapers destroyed, and Shepard and her love interest go off into the sunset and have a good life." 

And we were told over and over again by Bioware that the ending would NOT be a simple A, B, and C choice. 

Well I guess technically it wasn't. Instead it was RED/GREEN/BLUE. Cute. 

That - and the stupid nature of the plot/consistancy holes makes this overall just a kick in the balls. (or will be if they don't change it) And I don't feel like paying money to have someone kick me in the balls. 

If ultimately they correct it and change it so that it's NOT a kick in the balls, then good. They'll have my respect for listening to their fans and doing the right thing. And they'll have my money too. Gladly. 

Quote:Then why do I need to play the game, then? I'll just read the fanfic.

And that's me in a nutshell. ME1 and 2 are even available on Steam, but..

Nope.

BRB, Fallout: New Vegas.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Is it just me, or is this whole situation a lot like the one with Fallout 3's original ending?

(Disclaimer: I haven't played that or this.)

-Morgan.

This. So very much this.

I reject the idea that you can reject my argument when you haven't even tried it yourself.  You're saying "I hear the food is nasty, so I won't taste it."  And then you have someone -- multiple someones -- telling you, "No, just don't eat the garnish, the rest is awesome."  And then you say, "Screw that, if the garnish is nasty the entire thing has to suck."

So, whatever.

--sofaspud

So, anyway, given I liked the ending, and long since got sick of the screaming, crying and complaining, I'm moving on to other stuff... I really quite liked the new crew members with screen time. James is the obvious one, given he's the squadmate, and having his story arc with Shepard be based around that of a soldier and his CO/mentor was a nice touch. Much preferred it to another love interest. But Cortez might have been my favorite. The first time I saw him, he's in the armory trading insults with James, something which continued the whole game. Their argument over the Mako/Hammerhead debate was awesome. But his character arc of getting over the loss of his husband during the events of ME2 was perfect. I have to give Bioware credit for never going 'LOOK! GAY GUY!' or anything like that. He was a widower who'd lost the love of his life, and my Shepard was simply a friend, helping him to move on. The scene with them shipwatching on the Citadel was one of the better quiet character moments in the game, I feel.

The new characters were interesting.

Squad.

James: Felt sort of like a big brother for my Shep... seeing as her family died due to Batarian slavers, it was nice.

EDI: ... I agree with Joker and we need a cake!

Jarvik (or how ever his name is spelled): I am the only member of my race left alive and half the fail safes we set up didn't work, oh course I'm bitter as hell!

NPC's

New Yeomen: My shep had to spray the girl with a hose... damn she was "eager"

Cortez: A gay guy that wasn't over the top... a nice surprise and a fun person to chat to.

Reproter: ... I missed out on picking up her before I gave up on the game... so no idea there.