Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
Ah. I guess I don't get posts to my talk page very often, then.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'm surprised we didn't have this category already.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Overlooked in all the excitement ten years ago, I would guess.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I just spotted one of those cases of the wrong kind of page being created by the New button. I created a new Quotes page for a work, but I got the boilerplate for a Trope Quote page. I tried looking for where that was implemented, figuring I could make a quick fix, but got bogged down in parts of the wiki's underpinnings I had no experience with. Can someone who actually knows what they're doing fix that?

Thank you!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I may be reading this wrong due to a lack of familiarity, but when I attempted this I can confirm that this is the behavior, but it might be fixed with a template update rather than digging deeper. That said, that’s a potential solution, but perhaps not the best solution.

Looking at the boilerplate loaded, if I interpreted this right (I may not have!) the header is adaptable thanks to a conditional if. It should work for any trope or work page and automatically pick the right name.

Code:
{{subst:((}}{{subst:#if:work|trope}}{{subst:))}}

In the template selector I see there is a quote page template for creators, for which this may not work correctly. I tested this via preview on a creators page and got similar results as expected.

The footer is simply hardcoded. It will always default to the trope footer. A conditional here may fix the problem, if appropriate.

I am not a mediawiki wiz, so I may have gotten it wrong.
Pages tested:
  • Devo
  • Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song)

Edit: Forgot markup.
Ah, this is what I get for trying to poke around in a language I don't know. I thought that somewhere it was simply copying an existing but wrong template. I didn't realize it was dynamically determined.
-- Bob

Sorry, that’s not what I meant, the interesting thing is that there is specific boilerplate for quotes for tropes, creators, and works. However the one for tropes does have some incomplete dynamism to account for use outside of trope pages, which is interesting.

A perfectly valid solution, and perhaps a more correct one, may also be to alter how the new creation button works on different pages so it just sends the user to the right page to begin with, but I have no idea how that is structured, and thus how feasible that is.

Edit: Wrong terminology, improved flow
<sigh> At some point around 8:35 EDT, it looks like Miraheze as a whole took a nosedive. ATT and KanriKyara pages come up with the "Something went wrong" page reporting 502 and 503 errors.

EDIT: And about fifteen minutes later everything was fine again.
-- Bob

Update: It appears to be back up. I made an edit to test the waters.
Labster and I were talking yesterday, and he made a comment about long-term automating some of the more repetitive work that I've been doing.

The Register has a related story today: If your AI does the crime, you'll do the time, warns DoJ

Quote:In other words, it doesn't matter whether it's the AI that broke the law – the company will be held accountable.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Automation is good! Even something that was semi-automatic (Click after review a la rapID) could speed up fixing a lot of the lint or category errors.

I’ve been thinking about concepts and features Wikidata and Wikivoyage to help automate processes and reduce errors.
(09-19-2024, 12:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 06:09 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-18-2024, 08:42 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: While we're talking about [HLIAA14YOG], I wish we could put him on notice for his reviews.  I'm getting pretty tired of every single freaking one of them boiling down to "I hate this work because it's woke".

We need viewpoints that don't agree with ours, Bob.

Oh, I know.  I just find his one-note approach to everything exceedingly tedious.  I have been tempted to create a parody reviewer to imitate his style and complain that while the Bible started out good, when the main character's son takes over the action he turns the whole thing woke and therefore it should be thrown in a fire and right-thinking people should never read it.

And exactly one week after I said this, he spews forth yet another review dripping with vitriol for a work that is generally regarded very well and considered seminal in its genre, mostly because of what he regards as its politics. I repeat, he is a tedious, boring one-note hater.
-- Bob

Oh, joy. I've replied with a bit of fact-checking.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have this take. So long as any subjective opinions are kept where we allow them, he can say whatever he likes, and of course, others are free to add some rebuttals. and obviously, being tied to his name, his views are his alone and obviously do not represent the rest of the site. In places where we ask opinion be kept out and we keep it reasonably neutral, our objective fact rules will still hold.

So if he wants to rant where he allowed it, fine. Rap his knuckles if he strays outside that.

For the record, I just want to avoid any e-squabbles and not taking sides.
(08-24-2024, 09:03 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've tossed together a quick-and-dirty DPL list of pages that use both Category:Musicians and Category:Music. As we agreed in the old thread, the desired state of that list is empty, so I didn't bother making it pretty.

I just noticed that MilkmanConspiracy has been whittling away at this list, and adding other relevant categories to pages at the same time. Thanks!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No problem!
Now this is interesting -- and will require us to make some changes to a few pages on the wiki, because I know we referenced the former state of affairs:

The US Trademark Office has canceled Marvel, DC's shared trademark on the phrase "Super Hero".
-- Bob

(09-29-2024, 09:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Now this is interesting -- and will require us to make some changes to a few pages on the wiki, because I know we referenced the former state of affairs:

The US Trademark Office has canceled Marvel, DC's shared trademark on the phrase "Super Hero".

That'll have to wait until search is working properly. I don't see any reference to the trademark on "Superhero", "Category:Superhero Genre", or "So You Want To/Write a Superhero Comic"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
After seeing the notification for file:Grim_Adventures_by_Vinz.png, and just realized that I approved an image without proper license info. I saw the attestation that they owned the rights and got the wires crossed, but that still doesn’t excuse the lack of proper usage templates. I apologize for the error, and will double check the actual preview/result going forward to make sure I catch such things.
(09-30-2024, 10:59 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: After seeing the notification for file:Grim_Adventures_by_Vinz.png, and just realized that I approved an image without proper license info. I saw the attestation that they owned the rights and got the wires crossed, but that still doesn’t excuse the lack of proper usage templates. I apologize for the error, and will double check the actual preview/result going forward to make sure I catch such things.

Your mea culpa is accepted. In fact, you're still learning and we understand that, and it's to your credit you intend to learn from this.
Yeah, not a problem. It's an uncommon situation, and it's likely that any of us might have okayed it if we were rushed and didn't look carefully. In fact, I almost passed over it myself, and had closed the page before it registered with me. I had to reopen the page to doublecheck what I thought I saw. If I'd been a bit more distracted, I might have not even noticed.
-- Bob

We've all done something similar in the past. No worries, as long as we all know that it was a gaffe and we fix it.

Just ran across this while looking for something else, and this one's a Bureaucrat-level job: Go through the pre-Moderation edits made by this globally-locked Islamophobic user, compare each one to the page's current state, and repair the remaining damage done by the edits.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, god, that guy. Didn't we already purge his crap? I guess not.

EDIT: We did. I just went through that entire list right now. Everything he inserted was either reverted or edited to reflect reality rather than bigotry. There is no remaining damage to undo.
-- Bob

The hello has some edits that he says are their own from another wiki. Is it ok to approve them?
(10-01-2024, 02:33 AM)MilkmanConspiracy Wrote: The hello has some edits that he says are their own from another wiki. Is it ok to approve them?

They are porting from TV Tropes, their own edits. I can vouch for that, but feel free to check if you need to.

As for that other guy, they are not even trying to do anything other than spew their hate. Ok, some of what they say (like North Korea being oppressive) may be true, but their language is so inflammatory and crude you could get burns from it. As for the rest, if all they want to do be a bigoted douche, well, they can go away and stay away.