Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
What do people think about promoting Fixguy53ae to Autopatrolled/Automod? I've been checking his contributions against TVT every time I've had to approve any, and he's always given us original text, even when the contribution is 2K or more, he seems to have a reasonable grasp of grammar and usage, and (mostly) grasps markup and its proper use.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Sounds good to me. He's also willing to reply to mod posts on his user talk page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Go for it, sounds like a valued user.
Quote:What do people think about promoting Fixguy53ae to Autopatrolled/Automod?

Okay, counting me that's three out of four mods recommending Trident for their patients who chew gum okaying his promotion.  I'll do that now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, I know we have this trope, but I'm drawing a complete and utter blank on what it's called: When a period piece set in the recent past has a soundtrack made completely of especially familiar hit music of the period. Digging through the Music Tropes category didn't help me, so I'm turning to the forums.

Thanks.
-- Bob

The closest I can find is Nothing but Hits.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's it. Thank you.

And in looking at that I just realized we have as categories Music Tropes and Score and Music Tropes.
-- Bob

(05-20-2024, 12:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...
And in looking at that I just realized we have as categories Music Tropes and Score and Music Tropes.

Oh, it gets better. "Category:Score and Music Tropes" is a subcategory of both "Music Tropes" and "Music and Sound Tropes".

Somebody with a spare year needs to go through the entire category cloud and weed out the duplicates...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh yeah.
-- Bob

I know that this is probably the same as wishing for the moon, the stars, and a pet pony, but there's no harm in asking...

Is there any chance we can get PetScan for ATT (or all public wikis on Miraheze)?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-19-2024, 04:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: The entries on these Lint Error lists are beyond my capability to fix, because they require tinkering with code:
  • Table tag that should be deleted
  • Misnested tag with different rendering in HTML5 and HTML4
  • Miscellaneous issues
  • Bogus file options (it looks to me like fixing the page "Help:Images/frame" will get rid of the errors on all of the other pages on this sublist)
  • Multi colon escape
  • Links in links
If one of our code folks is looking for a weekend project, please consider this one.

EDIT: Add "Fostered content" to the above list.

I believe I have "Obsolete HTML tags" down to where it can be added to this list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh> Orror SANESS, the user who got pissy impatient about his submission in the Mod Queue, which then turned out to be about as unusable as it could get without actually being blank, has registered for an account here. I'm not rejecting him outright, but I've left a note on his talk page asking him what he wants to say here that he can't say on the wiki.

EDIT: He's also the guy who three weeks ago submitted a half-megabyte of text stolen copied word-for-word from a work page and all its subpages on TV Tropes as a single page lacking pretty much all useful markup.
-- Bob

(05-21-2024, 11:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: I know that this is probably the same as wishing for the moon, the stars, and a pet pony, but there's no harm in asking...

Is there any chance we can get PetScan for ATT (or all public wikis on Miraheze)?

The code in question is largely based on doing an API call to a wiki for specific information, but the implementation runs through Toolforge, a toolserver specific for WMF projects.

It's a more automated version of using this:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox
(05-22-2024, 03:37 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <sigh> Orror SANESS, the user who got pissy impatient about his submission in the Mod Queue, which then turned out to be about as unusable as it could get without actually being blank, has registered for an account here. I'm not rejecting him outright, but I've left a note on his talk page asking him what he wants to say here that he can't say on the wiki.

EDIT: He's also the guy who three weeks ago submitted a half-megabyte of text stolen copied word-for-word from a work page and all its subpages on TV Tropes as a single page lacking pretty much all useful markup.

Okay, I gave him nearly a week to respond in two different venues -- email and ATT. He didn't. Guess he didn't really have anything important to say, since he won't say anything. I've nuked his unactivated account for failing my final spammer test.
-- Bob

How many times has Miraheze updated the MediaWiki software since the last time we updated the Help pages?

Serious question -- I've lost track.

Anyway... I just hung an "outdated" tag on Category:Help. Who has time to get a new copy? Or should we just point at Mediawiki's online copy and be done with keeping a local copy?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Updated copies would need the translation tags stripped out before posting, or the translation extension enabled. Said extension is both necessarily complicated, and unnecessarily complicated for our use case. I think everyone redirects to mediawiki.org because there is no portable documentation, even though it also has random advice on syntax pages to enable $wg variables. Seems like there are no good solutions to me.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto