Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
Are we rejecting edits in moderation for technical reasons? This one did a number on the tropelist, including changing wiki-style bulleted-list markup to HTML bulleted-list markup... and putting the wrong anchor names on the entries.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I've been rejecting things mangled by the Visual Editor, but letting the editor know it wasn't their fault.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Do we have a trope for the concept "home is where the heart is"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like I've been rejecting a lot of edits by "Redmondeous23". I'd rather that they not think I'm picking on them... Could somebody else reject their attempt to turn the "Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy" example on "Can't Get Away with Nuthin'" into a Zero Context Example, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-10-2024, 07:54 AM)robkelk Wrote: Looks like I've been rejecting a lot of edits by "Redmondeous23". I'd rather that they not think I'm picking on them... Could somebody else reject their attempt to turn the "Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy" example on "Can't Get Away with Nuthin'" into a Zero Context Example, please?

I'll do the needful.

BTW, TV Tropes has been doing two things very asinine lately, just bringing it up because one makes our life harder, one is just something I hope we aren't stupid enough to do.

One, they briefly had the edit history visible for non-users again, but quit allegedly for SEO reasons, but given the more embarassing things they like to hide can be seen in edit histories, more likely to make hiding that easier, as unlike MediaWiki, PmWiki does not have the ability to hide revisions, especially if the content was legally actionable like libel.

On the "wow, that's stupid" front, they been taking an axe to tropes with a LONG history and have stood the test of time, like "Char Clone" (which anime is STILL ripping off to this day), condensing them into redirects to other tropes when the "main trope" was still perfectly valid and the redirects may or may not always apply.
Eh. Let them. The more stupid they do, the more likely they'll drive people to the competition.

And on the subject of "more stupid", I heard a rumor that they let Fighteer back? And that he started banning the people that called for his resignation in 2022 pretty much the minute they gave him his new mod hat. Any truth to that?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
This tumblr post says he's back. Take it with whatever trust you give any other tumblr post.

(Edit: Hey, this is my 25,000th post to the forum!)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I checked, he is indeed back.
<sigh> I guess that means we need to delete the couple of places where we have text (which I will admit to adding) that suggested his departure meant that the "bad old days" at TVT were finally going away.
-- Bob

I think I already got them when I added the example to "Ten-Minute Retirement".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So, for those who haven't noticed, one of our users, DeluxiumDX, declared about a month ago that he's leaving the wiki (although he's continued to edit after his announcment). Today he posted a little more behind his decision. It sounds like he's decided that we "hate him" because we didn't let him delete things from a YMMV page. <sigh> Gods save me from thirteen-year-old drama queens.
-- Bob

Well, he edited once, other than answering your question.

I just gave him the same reply I gave Doc Colress pre-pandemic: "We don't hate you. We don't even know you."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No more VisualEditor in main namespace, so that bug is fixed.

https://issue-tracker.miraheze.org/T12006
And there was much rejoicing!
-- Bob

Still cleaning up lint errors.

Somebody else, please take care of the train wreck that is the formatting of "Brian Blessed/Self Demonstrating". Code such as <big> or '' has been use willy-nilly and isn't meshing well -- whoever takes care of this one is going to have to use 100% CSS span markup without touching HTML or Wikicode.

(It's worse than the Homestuck pages were... and those have the excuse of making heavy use of a poorly-coded template that I can't figure out how to fix. I'm using CSS to fix those pages.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Other than "Brian Blessed/Self Demonstrating", every Lint Error that I can fix under "High priority" and "Medium priority" has been fixed. There are still 47 errors being reported in those two sections... most of which would simply disappear if we stopped hosting our own copy of the MediaWiki "Help" pages or getting templates from Wikipedia.

I still have to look at the "Low priority" errors: 58 "Obsolete HTML tags" errors, 101 "Stripped tags" errors... and 13,621 "Missing end tag" errors.

If you see any claim in any ATT forum or talk page that says people don't need to close their bold or italic tags, please slap it down with extreme prejudice and tell whoever posted it to stop making my job harder.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, that's weird...

We apparently have 18 "Obsolete HTML tags" lint errors on Extension:Cite/Cite.php. We apparently don't have that page on the wiki.

This doesn't actually break anything on the wiki, but it is weird.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-20-2024, 09:33 AM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, that's weird...

We apparently have 18 "Obsolete HTML tags" lint errors on Extension:Cite/Cite.php. We apparently don't have that page on the wiki.

This doesn't actually break anything on the wiki, but it is weird.

Seems to be a phantom error thing. The Lint check should only check pages that are client accessible (what we read on the internet publicly), but for some reason is checking a backend page for the built-in Cite extension anyway, but since that should not count for the end-user, said errors don't actually exist.
I'm pretty sure that this is already a trope, but I don't remember what we called it...

"I wasn't about to ask her. She might answer me."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. I was about to say I didn't recognize it, but then it rang a faint bell in my memory. If we have it, it's presented in a different form.
-- Bob

(06-19-2024, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote: ... and 13,621 "Missing end tag" errors.

After a week of cleanup, we are now at 13,748 "Missing end tag" errors.

Fix one error and two more become visible... Sad
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is anyone else bothered by the level of sheer vitriol HLIAA14YOG unleashes when he posts a review?

EDIT: And DeluxiumDX is back to tell us more about why he won't be back. <sigh>
-- Bob

Hm. As Rob noted elsewhere, we seem to have a problem in the templating for page creation. In addition to one he spotted, I just noticed that creating a laconic or quotes page for a Useful Note creates a page with a Trope template on it.
-- Bob

Similarly, creating a quotes page for a Work creates a page with a Trope template on it.

Somebody with a few free cycles should take a look at the menus, and make sure they're calling the correct templates.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Search is down.

Quote:An error has occurred while searching: We could not complete your search due to a temporary problem. Please try again later.

Was this a planned outage, or do we need to enter a ticket?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown