Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trailers Thread III
RE: The Trailers Thread III
Weird Al 2025 tour
Trailer #2 for the new Ranma 1/2 series:

I'm not sure, but I think it sounds like they went with a more adult-sounding voice for Shampoo this time around.

And now a special bonus: The new opening. It starts with a fake-out -- the same gong that started the credits for the first season of the original -- but with a different song entirely, so if like me you've been listening to that track for thirty-five years, you're going to be primed to expect one thing and then get hit upside the head with another.

-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Ballerina (From the World of John Wick)
Wow, they really aren't giving any girl but Akane any face in that OP are they?
--
‎noli esse culus
(09-24-2024, 01:15 PM)which iasBob Schroeck Wrote: Well.  New animated Lara Croft/Tomb Raider series coming out on Netflix, featuring Haley Atwell as Lara:
Looks to be set in the reboot universe, which is nice... and possible shout outs to the first game in the trilogy.
Neph: I wanna fight!
(09-28-2024, 09:45 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Wow, they really aren't giving any girl but Akane any face in that OP are they?

Takahashi-san really didn't like having Urusei Yatsura derailed by the fans liking Lum over Shinobu, so she did her best to make sure Shampoo wouldn't take over from Akane It didn't work completely. I suspect that giving Akane the most face time in the Ranma opening this time around, and making clear that Shampoo and Kodachi are opponents, was intentional.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
New Thunderbolts Trailer

(09-23-2024, 11:33 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: So... it's Thunderbolts,  but with an almost completely different cast, including having swapped out the original legit-new-hero character, and all black ops people (all dressed in black) instead of colorful supers from the footage shown as well, presumably because super-effects are expensive. It's telling how low my expectations are for a Marvel movie that all that hasn't already turned me completely away.
going back a page, by 'almost completely different cast' are you referring to the comics or was there a previously announced lineup for the movie that they've replaced? Huh 

Moana 2 Special Look (whatever that means)
(10-10-2024, 05:00 PM)Norgarth Wrote: going back a page, by 'almost completely different cast' are you referring to the comics or was there a previously announced lineup for the movie that they've replaced?

The comics, yes. I caught a glimpse of Citizen V/Baron Zemo in maroon, grey, and navu instead of red, white, and blue, but no MACJ-1 aka Beetle, no Songbird (Moonstone maybe? Or Screaming Mimi and Moonstone was another female team member), no Atlas (Giant Man), no speedster guy (Meanstreak? He left ethe team really earrly anyway though) no Jolt the electric rookie hero, and Winter Soldier Bucky replaces Hawkeye as the seasoned hero mentor too.

Thunderbolts was just starting its run about the same time I was falling out of comics so still being able to remember more than the visual designs tells how much I liked the concept and characters; really this all-new all-drab bunch lose a point for stealing the name and not even using the premise (a bunch of B-list villains form a "new hero team" to fill in while the Avengers are missing/dead/off-planet or something as a long con to get access to security information and resources, actual rookie joins and forces them to live the mask rather than just keeping it up in public, most of them discover they actually like being good guys and getting positive press so they flip for real.) They're going to need to make up that ground to have a chance in my books.

Also, "Bob, with the power of one million exploding suns," sounds like they've ripped off both Bob From HYDRA and The Sentinel, and ramming Sentinel's crazy into Bob is just a dick move.
--
‎noli esse culus
Songbird was Screaming Mimi, Moonstone was masquerading as Meteorite. They didn't have any speedster on the team except for Jolt. the 6th villain Fixer (with the hero identity of Techno)

And the Thunderbolts kicked off in the aftermath of the (original) Onslaught event, with a bunch of Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and Dr Doom apparently dying by jumping into Onslaught and draining his power enough to for the X-Men to destroy Onslaught (Iron Man grabbed Doom with a flyby and carried him in, whether Doom liked it or not). Cue big flash of light and the FF/Avengers are apparently Vaporized. They were actually in a pocket dimension courtesy of Franklin Richards trying to save them.

No, Sentry's real name was Robert 'Bob' Reynolds, so no real connection to Bob From HYDRA (he was in the Deadpool comics, right?)
Huh, wonder where I'm remembering Meanstreak from, then? Regardless, exactly none of that (aside from Smoked Citizen V as noted) appears to be in this movie, so it's still some corpo suit's braindrizzle of slapping an existing IP name and onto what should by rights have been a new project to try to sucker in the old fans, and if other recent Marvel movies are to judge, while simultaneously belittling those same old fans for being insufficiently buzzword compliant.
--
‎noli esse culus
yeah, but marvel/Disney can't recycle old villains into these 'fake heroes' and then pull a Heel-Face turn, because they kill off 90%+ of their villains in the first movie they appear. The best they can do is the anti-heroes.
(10-10-2024, 07:34 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Huh, wonder where I'm remembering Meanstreak from, then?  Regardless, exactly none of that (aside from Smoked Citizen V as noted) appears to be in this movie, so it's still some corpo suit's braindrizzle of slapping an existing IP name and onto what should by rights have been a new project to try to sucker in the old fans, and if other recent Marvel movies are to judge, while simultaneously belittling those same old fans for being insufficiently buzzword compliant.

Meanstreak was a character from X-Men 2099. There have also been multiple versions of the Thunderbolts over the years, and while I always felt the original run was best, the setup for that run doesn't apply to the MCU, while the setup to several later versions does.

The initial run was Baron Zemo's Thunderbolts. That wouldn't work here because MCU Zemo hates 'enhanced' enough that he'd never form his own super team. A+, would recommend.

Hawkeye then took over that team and tried steering them towards actual redemption instead of running a super powered con job. A pretty damn good run.

After that fell apart, a few original members joined up with some new members, before a (mostly) reformed Zemo regained control of the group. He lead the group into hunting down villains during the original Civil War storyline. An okay run.

A new version of the Thunderbolts formed under Norman Osborn. The only original members were Moonstone and Songbird. A very uneven run with lots of delays.

After Osborn's first team imploded in the wake of Secret Invasion, he formed a new, skuzzier team with some similarities to the upcoming MCU movie. Many of them got arrested after Osborn's latest evil scheme fell apart. I didn't particulalry like this run.

Next came Luke Cage's Thunderbolts, who were all prisoners trying to earn pardons/reduced sentences. They were like DC's Suicide Squad, but more legal and without literal suicide missions. I liked it much better than the previous few incarnations.

After that was Red Hulk's Thunderbolts, who were a super powered black ops military strike team. I didn't even bother collecting this run.

Then there was the Winter Soldier's Thunderbolts, which consisted mostly of original team members, but only lasted 12 issues. I thought it was sub-par.

Zemo started yet another incarnation of the team working for NY Mayor Wilson Fisk (aka the Kingpin). That failed, leading to:

Mayor Wilson Fisk starting his own, skuzzier Thunderbolts. After he's defeated, they're replaced by a new team lead (once again) by Hawkeye.

Most recently, the Winter Soldier wound up running a new incarnation of the Thunderbolts under Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (the character leading them in the trailer). They fought nazis and the Red Skull.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
... well that puts so9me more context with it, at least. Sounds very much like MCU is going with an interpretation from well down in the "don't bother" part of the list again though.
--
‎noli esse culus
Guys? Distinct lack of embedded videos in the last half-dozen posts...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I was seeing them approx 5-6 hours before your post Bob (roughly 13-14 hours ago).  But as of this post the space for them is there but the vids are not..

(lucky, as my looking at these threads is more erratic than others..)
Testing, 123. Can anyone see the below?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(10-11-2024, 03:49 PM)Cobalt Greywalker Wrote: I was seeing them approx 5-6 hours before your post Bob (roughly 13-14 hours ago).  But as of this post the space for them is there but the vids are not..

(lucky, as my looking at these threads is more erratic than others..)

Bob's saying that there's too much discussion and a lack of trailers in the trailers thread.

So... trailers. It's a bit depressing that the original Japanese trailer for Girls und Panzer: Das Finale - Part 4 is a year old now, the trailer for the German dub is three months old, but there still isn't a trailer for an English dub. Spoilers for who ends up in the finals... unless you know how sports anime tend to play out.
That's the formula.

Original Japanese, non-embedded

German dub, non-embedded
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(10-11-2024, 04:39 PM)robkelk Wrote: Bob's saying that there's too much discussion and a lack of trailers in the trailers thread.

I am indeed. I didn't think I actually had to say the specific words "take it elsewhere" but I guess I do.

Take the discussion elsewhere, guys.
-- Bob

(10-11-2024, 04:38 PM)Dartz Wrote: Testing, 123. Can anyone see the below?

An hour ago I couldn't see it.
Now I can see it.
I liked it better when I couldn't see it, to be honest.