Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a Goddamn Time.
What a Goddamn Time.
So a good friend of mine is Michael Satran. He's one of just a couple of people writing now for Hero System.

He's also sick right now. A couple weeks ago he collapsed in his driveway. For a couple months beforehand, he'd been having troubles: developed a facial tic, worried about random things, and having attention span issues. For those of you who read this, you probably have an idea about what's going on.

He's got a brain tumor.

The most recent report today is that now he's sleeping all the time, he's almost nonverbal, and when he's awake he doesn't recognize people are there. They're talking about moving him from where he is to a different facility, like Sloan-Kettering.

The man who never could shut up isn't able to speak. The man whose life was gaming and writing can no longer read.

I'm going to be moving soon, I hope, to be closer, and also to be running some games while Mike's unable to.

What a Goddamn time.
RE: What a Goddamn Time.
Damn. Sorry to hear about this, Geoff. Of course all our wishes go with you and him.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Having been through this shit recently with someone I'd known since high school... he didn't completely lose his ability to speak or his ability to recognize friends, but there wasn't a lot left of him otherwise when he finally passed. He managed to last over two years before it got him, but the last 7-8 months were really rough, he was to the point of being a falling risk at Christmas, was finally in the hospital for good around March/April, and finally passed at the end of July.

My heart's with you.

Also, fuck cancer.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Rainbow 
Three words.

Inoperable. Malignant. Glioblastoma.

I just have one more word left.

Fuck.

He's had this as his email signature for, roughly, forever. From his favorite fictional character, Clark Savage Jr.:

[Image: docsavage-quote.png]
So you know it's going to happen, but you don't know - you can't know - when.

Yeah.

Fuck.

All I can say is to be there for him when you can, even if it looks like he doesn't know you're there. His family will know, and you'll know.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(10-19-2017, 12:11 PM)mephron Wrote: Three words.

Inoperable. Malignant. Glioblastoma.

I just have one more word left.

Fuck.

Having just been through the latter two of those with my own friend, I will say that, in general, I'm disappointed that Fuck is the strongest word available in English to use. I should probably start learning Klingon just so that I have a better selection of harsh words.

All joking aside? If you're in Denver anytime soon, feel free to look me up and use me as a venting surface.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Well, damn.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Blast.  All I can do is express sympathy.
Awww hell Meph.

If ever you want a sympathetic ear, I'm only a PM away, here or on Eyrie.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Went to see him today. He wasn't there. His body was, but...

His family isn't going to do radio or chemo. It would give him a couple weeks, but not return him. It would be kinder...

I may need to write something later.
When you do, we'll read it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-22-2017, 06:57 PM)mephron Wrote: Went to see him today. He wasn't there. His body was, but...

His family isn't going to do radio or chemo. It would give him a couple weeks, but not return him. It would be kinder...

I may need to write something later.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Even when it's "Operable", it's only in a case of "buy a couple of years of decent living".

There was a point with our friend here, where he went into the final downhill slide, that it was waiting in anguish for all of us. There was a definite point that he was barely himself anymore. When he finally passed on, there was a measure of melancholic relief.

I'll definitely be here when you get that written.
Likewise, Geoff.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Michael Satran passed this evening.
Condolences from over here, Geoff.
<Sigh> I regret your loss.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Too young, too soon ... but he didn't linger.
My condolences to you , and to his family.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You have my deepest sympathies, Geoff.
-- Bob

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
-- Brigadier Saint Theodore the Anapestic
My condolences.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
My condolences.