Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
(02-14-2024, 09:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 03:35 AM)Labster Wrote: Could you replace it with: https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Mbox and https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Module:Message_box ?  I'm wondering if our internal Miraheze resources for templates would be better to take from, since it's less Wikipedia customized.

* robkelk goes and looks

Yes. Let's do this. As a second-order effect, this will also standardize the look-and-feel of the message boxes.

I've exported Template:Mbox (with "include templates" checked) from dev.miraheze.org. Before I import that to ATT, I need to ask: Will doing so upset any of the other admins?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(02-14-2024, 12:42 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 09:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 03:35 AM)Labster Wrote: Could you replace it with: https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Mbox and https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Module:Message_box ?  I'm wondering if our internal Miraheze resources for templates would be better to take from, since it's less Wikipedia customized.

* robkelk goes and looks

Yes. Let's do this. As a second-order effect, this will also standardize the look-and-feel of the message boxes.

I've exported Template:Mbox (with "include templates" checked) from dev.miraheze.org. Before I import that to ATT, I need to ask: Will doing so upset any of the other admins?

If this will fix our issues, go right ahead.
(02-14-2024, 12:42 PM)robkelk Wrote: I've exported Template:Mbox (with "include templates" checked) from dev.miraheze.org. Before I import that to ATT, I need to ask: Will doing so upset any of the other admins?

Not unless it breaks something near and dear to my heart. <grin> Go for it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-11-2024, 02:43 PM)robkelk Wrote: And now we're down to just the "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" edit... which I am tempted to ask the editor to re-submit because the markup is in such bad shape.

Which is what I ended up doing.

The moderation queue is empty now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How do we update the box at the bottom of an edit window that contains a large number of buttons for adding templates? I want to replace {{t|}} (which generates lint errors when used) with {{tl|}} (which doesn't).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-17-2024, 07:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: How do we update the box at the bottom of an edit window that contains a large number of buttons for adding templates? I want to replace {{t|}} (which generates lint errors when used) with {{tl|}} (which doesn't).

Edit the MediaWiki:Edittools page.
(02-17-2024, 08:15 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 07:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: How do we update the box at the bottom of an edit window that contains a large number of buttons for adding templates? I want to replace {{t|}} (which generates lint errors when used) with {{tl|}} (which doesn't).

Edit the MediaWiki:Edittools page.

Thanks, Geth. I've made the update.

our problem poster from a year ago who kept adding off-topic entries to "Foot Focus" created another account and tried again. God knows why, since the one-year ban had expired, but they did.

Looney Toons had previously warned the editor to pick one account. I've perma-banned both accounts.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just a note on a redirect I did recently that doesn't EXACTLY follow our "follow Wikipedia if they have an equivalent" rule.

I redirected "Yakuza (series)" to "Like a Dragon". The latter is a redirect to the proper article on Wikipedia, but I chose it because of the recent shift to the Japanese title being used for the English franchise as well. It also is more cogent to what someone would search for (either Like a Dragon or Ryu Ga Gotoku since they are pivoting hard to retiring the old localized series title) on our own site and of the greatest relevance to describe the whole series.

Note, the Wikipedia link still works completely normally this way.
I just cleared out a few more entries in the Mod Queue. There are two submissions left, and both have that very distinctive mangling we've seen before.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The edit to X Meets Y is easy enough to unmangle... but somebody (preferably not me) should point Tmalik99 at our "don't link to TVT" policy.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, did he? I didn't notice -- after I realized the page got mangled, I sort of skimmed over it.
-- Bob

Just as your wiki farm update, Raidarr was unbanned, mostly on the logic that he had been punished enough (and his ban originally tore apart the community).  Owen didn't like the unban, but more specificially didn't like the fact that Raidarr might be able to regain access to CheckUser in the future if nominated and elected again.  In the end, Owen resigned from the board the same day, so we're down to six members.  And, honestly, we've had a more open and candid working environment in the past couple days.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
So, I just stumbled over the "Official Tropes Wiki" over on Fandom. It's relatively new -- its main page has a four-entry history starting in December 2022. Does anyone know which wiki it branched from, because I certainly don't recognize it.
-- Bob

So far, all edits have been by "Perkeez28‎". If there's somebody with a Fandom account here (which means not me or Geth), why not just ask them?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is this already a trope? The scene is focused on one person, that person makes a telephone call, we see both sides of the conversation, and the call ends with the scene now focused on the other person in the call.

(I recall this happening in at least one 1930s or '40s Looney Tunes short, and I'm approaching writing it into a fan work...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've just rejected the first two edits made by User:Molter on the grounds of violating ATT:1WAY.

Adding opinions is one thing. Removing opinions that the editor doesn't agree with is something else altogether. Guess which one Molter did.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-04-2024, 07:28 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've just rejected the first two edits made by User:Molter on the grounds of violating ATT:1WAY.

Adding opinions is one thing. Removing opinions that the editor doesn't agree with is something else altogether. Guess which one Molter did.

Noticed. TV Tropes has a nasty habit of letting editors leak their biases into articles to soapbox. Editor was clearly assuming they could use us to soapbox. I'd rather we avoid becoming a free fire zone for political types of any shade. Also noticed they loved using snarl words like "alt-right" to justify things. Unless they can provide proof such terminology has objective founding, I suggest snarl-worded edits be rejected on sight from now on, if only to discourage anyone who wants to turn us into the comments section of some political forum gone nasty.
Agreed -- although we've been doing that (more or less) already, making it an explicit editorial policy is a good idea.
-- Bob

Rob, Geth, I need a little help. We've got a very enthusiastic new user, MilkmanConspiracy, who's dumped something like twenty to thirty edits into the mod queue per day the last couple days. His edits have been mostly very good, but it's just that there are a lot of them, and I don't want to just approve them without checking given that he is a new user. If you guys could just check ten or so of his edits each that would make it a bit easier for me to get through the rest.
-- Bob

(03-12-2024, 07:42 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Rob, Geth, I need a little help.  We've got a very enthusiastic new user, MilkmanConspiracy, who's dumped something like twenty to thirty edits into the mod queue per day the last couple days.  His edits have been mostly very good, but it's just that there are a lot of them, and I don't want to just approve them without checking given that he is a new user.  If you guys could just check ten or so of his edits each that would make it a bit easier for me to get through the rest.

Pruned most of the list, and they look like a sincere and legitimate editor. Saw nothing that looked plagiarized, the edits had proper grammar, and they clearly read the manual of style.
Thank you, Geth!
-- Bob

And I managed to approve a few while you approving most of the others. I don't know Kyonyuu Fantasy well enough to know whether Horny's edit to "Kyonyuu Fantasy/Characters/Antagonists " is justified.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, likewise. I suppose we might as well approve it and let the Wiki Magic determine if it needs fixing. Even if our Wiki Magic is a bit on the weak side.
-- Bob

(03-12-2024, 03:33 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah, likewise.  I suppose we might as well approve it and let the Wiki Magic determine if it needs fixing.  Even if our Wiki Magic is a bit on the weak side.

Have played it, and it's accurate. Gave it a minor grammar cleanup.
We need to do a better job of checking whether we already have any trope that Kuma suggests.

It looks to me like "Power Buff" is the same trope as "Status Buff"... which I only discovered after I launched "Power Buff".

Discussion on whether they're the same trope goes here so everyone can see it, please.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown