Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
(04-10-2024, 11:06 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 08:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Special:LintErrors and the pages linked from it haven't updated in over two weeks. Ticket T12032 entered.

It's been over 24 hours and the ticket hasn't even been triaged yet. I left a "have you seen it?" question on the Meta talk page of the only person who appears to do trouble-ticket triaging.

(And if there is only one person doing trouble-ticket triaging, then you have a single point of failure at the very beginning of the incident-resolution process.)

Little thing about that to clarify things. The "Special" pages are a front-end readable version of all the stuff done on the backend database. If the page did not update in a timely manner, either the guys on the tech staff need to force run the bot jobs script (force an update to those readings to flush things), or submit their own bug report on that not updating if the extension that controls that has an issue. The first is dirt simple to fix and is harmless if annoying. The second is out of the hands of everyone save the extension developer, but it's more than likely the database dropped the ball with updates and just needs a kick in the rear of the bot script.
I've provided 46 examples, off the top of my head.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-10-2024, 03:14 PM)Labster Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 11:06 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 08:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Special:LintErrors and the pages linked from it haven't updated in over two weeks. Ticket T12032 entered.

It's been over 24 hours and the ticket hasn't even been triaged yet. I left a "have you seen it?" question on the Meta talk page of the only person who appears to do trouble-ticket triaging.

(And if there is only one person doing trouble-ticket triaging, then you have a single point of failure at the very beginning of the incident-resolution process.)

Don't be crazy.  There's zero people ticket triaging.  Like everything else, it's volunteers doing things if they get around to it.

Also they're waiting for a reply from you.

They didn't ask for a reply until after I nudged the boss.

And the "fix things if they get around to it" philosophy is one reason why Miraheze has a bad rep.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, good news on the reputation front, then: There's a proposal to rename Miraheze to WikiTide

No longer will we have to suffer under the tyranny of the past. Or something.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
In going through the Mod queue tonight, I have been coming to the conclusion that Minni128 and Pasmorade are the same person, who may also be the fanfic author Amoridere that both seem obsessed with. Unlike previous cases of multiple accounts, they have yet to be especially troublesome, but I just had to nuke way too many of Minni128's submissions for blatant content theft from TVT. We may want to keep an eye on both of them and come to a consensus before asking the stewards for a checkuser (the process of which I assume is still the same as it was at Miraheze?).

EDIT: A few more pages and I'm convinced they're the same person. Both submitted pages for a fanfic called "How the House Burned Down" that were almost identical, down to the errors in category use. It looks like they got impatient that the first one hadn't been approved yet and resubmitted it, and either forgot or didn't care which account they initially used.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yes, we still ask the Stewards to run a checkuser. We have to have at least one approved edit from each of them, though.

And if/when it comes up positive, we can ask them two questions: "Which account do you want to continue using?", and "If you are the fanfic writer whose works you've been creating pages for, why aren't you putting the DOTA tag on your pages?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I believe we have at least one approved edit for each now. I'll have to double check.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Pasmorade is now On Notice for ignoring a mod (specifically, not reading the Style Guide after Bob suggested doing so, or ignoring it if they did read it). And the edit was rejected.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As long as we're going through the moderation queue... I'd like to get opinions on DeluxiumDX's proposed edit to TV Tropes/YMMV (as I type this, third from the bottom of the list). It's that troper's second contribution to the wiki, and I'm not sure about using the word "Most" in the context of Internet Backdraft.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've been of mixed feelings about that one, myself. I'll need to take another look, though.
-- Bob

Just a note, this obvious copyvio fork got refused: https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:R...ueue/43375
(04-15-2024, 02:32 PM)Labster Wrote: Just a note, this obvious copyvio fork got refused: https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:R...ueue/43375

I sincerely hope that they've talked with a lawyer about this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-15-2024, 03:03 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 02:32 PM)Labster Wrote: Just a note, this obvious copyvio fork got refused: https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:R...ueue/43375

I sincerely hope that they've talked with a lawyer about this.

Yeah, it does seem like they have a hopelessly naive concept of what qualifies as "fair use", doesn't it?

Anyway, it doesn't matter, at least on Miraheze:

Rodejong commented at 19:16, 15 April 2024: Wrote:Thank you for requesting a wiki with us. However, I have to decline your request per Content Policy provision, "Direct forks and forks where a substantial amount of content is copied from a Miraheze project are not allowed." Thank you for your understanding.

EDIT: I suppose it says something that the requester, "AbleistSL", seems to have absolutely no history as a contributor, either on Meta or on ATT.
-- Bob

Something that folks might like...

Dynasty Warriors/Characters/The Wei Rulers used Tabber to show different images of the same character for each version of the game. I suspect this wasn't rolled out to other character pages because of the huge amount of whitespace that it left on the page.

I just figured out how to get rid of the whitespace: wrap the Tabber in a Sidebar, like so:
Quote:{{sidebar | content1 =
<tabber>

tabs go here
</tabber>
}}

If folks like how this looks -- and there's still the question of how images of different sizes show up even using "thumb" instead of "frame" on the file name code, although I suspect setting an absolute pixel width will fix that -- then whoever started the process of wrapping the images this way can continue with the other 25 Dynasty Warriors characters pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-15-2024, 05:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: Something that folks might like...

Dynasty Warriors/Characters/The Wei Rulers used Tabber to show different images of the same character for each version of the game. I suspect this wasn't rolled out to other character pages because of the huge amount of whitespace that it left on the page.

I just figured out how to get rid of the whitespace: wrap the Tabber in a Sidebar, like so:
Quote:{{sidebar | content1 =
<tabber>

tabs go here
</tabber>
}}

If folks like how this looks -- and there's still the question of how images of different sizes show up even using "thumb" instead of "frame" on the file name code, although I suspect setting an absolute pixel width will fix that -- then whoever started the process of wrapping the images this way can continue with the other 25 Dynasty Warriors characters pages.

That was me. TV Tropes typically yeeted the older depicted versions of each character and defaults to the newest art, while the official wiki for Koei games can show all the depictions, and I realized unlike the hackwork code used by TVT, we had a way to show all of those different artworks without needing crowd the text off the page via Tabber, appreciate how you found a way to improve on that.
Hmmmmm...

We have Hero Worshipper.

We have Even Heroes Have Heroes.

We have Broken Pedestal.

We have Rebuilt Pedestal.

But we don't have Hero Worship.

I don't have time to write a candidate for Hero Worship right now, but at least I've identified some related tropes for whoever does have time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Has HLIAA14YOG spent enough time in Moderation since his last tempban?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think so. I was considering that very thing only yesterday.
-- Bob

Which "Under Construction" icon do people prefer - the one in "Template:Trope workshop" or the one in "Template:Under Construction"? I have no preference other than that we should be consistent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The red one, I think.
-- Bob

Bob's the only one to express an opinion. The red one it is.

The entries on these Lint Error lists are beyond my capability to fix, because they require tinkering with code:
  • Table tag that should be deleted
  • Misnested tag with different rendering in HTML5 and HTML4
  • Miscellaneous issues
  • Bogus file options (it looks to me like fixing the page "Help:Images/frame" will get rid of the errors on all of the other pages on this sublist)
  • Multi colon escape
  • Links in links
If one of our code folks is looking for a weekend project, please consider this one.

EDIT: Add "Fostered content" to the above list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I talked to the guy who implemented the Lint system today, so if you ever see it not updating let me know and I’ll track it down. I still think dropped jobs is most likely the problem, but I now know Mediawiki devs if it’s a code issue.
Anther new navbox, another bundle of redlinks... which I expected, but not four-fifths red.

The wiki needs more Creator pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Been working on something in my sandbox, a new Self Demonstrating page for Q from Star Trek. If anyone else wants to add stuff. feel free:

Update: Done, but feel free to add more if you guys want to:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Q/Self_Demonstrating
(04-17-2024, 09:27 AM)robkelk Wrote: Has HLIAA14YOG spent enough time in Moderation since his last tempban?

Anyone else have an opinion on this besides Rob and me?
-- Bob